What size is your Barrett's

Posted , 3 users are following.

Mines has went up to 10cm which I have not heard anyone having quite as large.

Oh top of this I can feel all the inflammation in my throughly and in my last test the day there is a change in it but not to retest for three years.

What's everyone else finding, do you feel you get told enough? Quite worrying when they say their is a change but come back in three years.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

10 cm certainly is a long length. Mine has been 3cm non-dysplastic unchanged for at least 23 years.

If you want to learn more than the consultants and doctors are able to tell you in their 10 minute appointments, see if you have a local support group - or visit Barrett's Wessex website, linked to via the pane on the right, or by going to www BarrettsWessex org uk.

• Posted

Thanks I will check your forum out and see if anyone has had similar length, it's not really the 10cm which worried me to be honest that's not that long.

Two things worry me, their is a slight change from last time which has alarm bells ringing with me and why if their is a change they want to wait 3 years god knows.

The second when they do the biopsy I don't take sedative so feel every one they take and seems like they started at back on my throats right down to my stomach which seems much longer than 10cm haha

• Posted

I will read the website tomorrow I have been looking online to see the options should it change but I can't see many.

• Posted

You need to go back and ask them to explain it more clearly. Don't be afraid to ask otherwise you will continue to worry.

• Posted

I was diagnosed 2 and half years ago 8cm no further treatment required but now on 3 yearly checks aswell but that is down to NHS cutbacks in Scotland. The 3 yearly check is a concern but can't do much about it. My last check was 8/9 months ago

I still go on nights out and drink alcohol but that's my choice I'm careful what and when I eat and do try to keep my nights out to a minimum. It crossed my mind to get the laser treatment option done privately but would cost a bit. I don't think we are told enough I just got a quick debrief from a nurse saying it was no worse we will see you in 3 years but I was coming round from sedation so it was bit of a blur. I went over the top worrying about it in the first months after being diagnosed but decided to just get on with my life and not think about it too much which seems to work for me

Try not to worry too much but go back to gp if you are concerned

• Posted

UK Surveillance intervals for non-dysplastic Barrett's are shown on the attached graphic. (They are actually the same for US and AUS and most other countries. If you visit Barretts org uk the About Barrett's page haslinks to UK, US and AUS guidelines. )

For short segment, < 3cm, without complications, surveillance intervals are 3-5 years. For long segment, 2 to 3 yearly surveillance is the recommendation.

• Posted

The drinking is what has caused mines I feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.