Vestibular Neuritis for 3 years - Has the virus gone?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had what I believe is vestibular neuritis for 3 years 2 months so far in both ears. I saw three doctors and three ENT specialsts and none of them came out and said this is what you've got (UK).

My dizziness has lessened in the 3 years. I went through the panic attack stage, they've gone. I went though the anxierty and I am 99% clear of that thank god because that was horrific. I've got through I phase of regular headaches. I am left with visual symtoms, tinnitus and a feeling of not being right. The inflammation I felt in my ears has also lessened.

Now my question is I can feel a touch of inflammation in my eas some days, does this mean the virus is still there? If the virus went away a longtime ago how is the inflammation sustaining itself?

Also

Any ideas on how I can normalise my vision? I am doing the VRT excercises for eyes but I am struggling to shift this fuzziness I see right across my vision.

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my doctor suggested vitamin c for my viral infection in my ears a few years ago. It hasn't returned. Easiest way to kill viruses is to take vitamin C.

• Posted

Hi!

What kind of visual symptoms do you have? And by "fuzziness" do you mean you "see snow" like little specks of dots all in your vision? Good luck to you I'm glad you're slowly getting better!

• Posted

It's more of a slight blur than specks or dots. I basically can't see clearly. I went to opticians they said there is nothing wrong 

• Posted

Try to see an opthamologist! There could be something neurological going on with your eyes such as your eyes aren't focusing together or working together properly.

• Posted

I as well have had vertigo but for 10 yrs. just this month a dr finally said it was vestibular neuritis. Since then I have been to 2 neurologists an ENT that have both said nothing! I have done Botox in my forehead and it did help with the eye problems. I hope it helps you some! I completely get the frustration, panic and utter disappointment you are feeling.

I often feel the drs don't care or understand what is going on and that they just think it is an Anxiety disorder.

It causes an anxiety disorder!!!

Best wishes and Godspeed

• Posted

Totally agree with you Tonya! I'm into my 7th year. Seen them all, not,one has any real,idea how to ,treat the symptoms!

• Posted

I am now looking for someone to complete a vestibular neurectomy on me. At least the vertigo will diminish and I can readjust how I live to the outcome of the surgery.

I can't stand people thinking it's all in my head anymore!

It is in my head, not psychologically but physiologicaly and we obviously need more people (drs) that can help if there are so many of us suffering from this!

• Posted

Yes you re right. It seems very low in their list of priorities, here in UK too. What is a vest neurectomy?
  • Posted

When you say that you can still feel the inflammation, what do you mean exactly?  Do you feel pain, a sense of fullness, a loss of hearing?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.