How do you get the diagnosis bipolar?

Posted , 8 users are following.

The last couple of years I've been acting weird and I think I might be bipolar. How do you get checked, do you just go to the doctor or straight to a psychiatrist? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Start with your dr. Let them know your symptoms and be honest. They will then either start you on meds to help ir send u to a psychiatrist
  • Posted

Make an appointment with your GP

He will arrange Treatment Pathways and see what is going on.

What are your reasons to think you are BI Polar.

BOB

• Posted

Hi for me im bipolar type ll and to be honest it took long time to be diagnosed . Yes i think you go to dr they will refer you on to physchiatrist but excpect to wait . Hope all goes ok . Sam
  • Posted

Goto a Dr who will send you to a psychiatrist if they deem it likely. Word of warning, don't tell the GP you think you have bipolar, and certainly not a psychiatrist. They do not appreciate being told that you've self diagnosed

• Posted

Most people with bipolar don't even realise that they are . I wouldn't advise self diagnosing. You need to see your GP and take it from there. I have bipolar and it took 6 years for a full diagnosis .

• Posted

Yes i agree bipolar people usually have friends or family members that raise concerns first over your behaviour your moods etc . Dont go drs telling him what you think is wrong. Be good idea if you have close friend or family who can support you honestly and get your concerns accross to dr .
  • Posted

Hi Gretharoll, I'm going through something similar, please could I ask you what your symptoms are? 

• Posted

I would go straight to a psychiatrist.

Prior to the appointment I would write down what symptoms I am experiencing.

Mine were...not sleeping at night but having plenty of energy and not feeling tired.

A million things going on in my mind all at once.

Not being able to stay with one task...

Anger outbursts at family and strangers in local shops

Talking extremely fast and talking over other people always

Unable to focus on what anyone says to me

Feeling paranoid

Overly concerned about how I look

Gave a history of my employment and how I would blurt out inappropriate things.

In ONE session...they told me I was bipolar. And it is especially likely that you have bipolar if a sibling or family member has been diagnosed with it.

I agree with the person who said not to tell the Dr. YOU think you have bipolar..stick to describing the symptoms and your daily feelings and they will figure it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.