RA lingering cough

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im writing on behalf of my dad who is now early 60's and has been living with RA for over 20 years, I think he suffers a lot in silence as he "doesn't like to worry us" he joints are seriously disformed now and I think general day to day life is getting harder as he still works full time.

The reason I'm writing here is because he has had a lingering cough now for maybe 6-9 months, no antibiotics ever clear it up so me and my mom have been in touch with his GP who have sent him for an X-ray which we are awaiting the results. After reading on the internet It's frightened me quite a lot.

I've seen him this afternoon and he suddenly turned very pale, started sweating and went very faint and then was very sick, he refused for us to to get any help.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this ? I would be so grateful for any responses thank you x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Emma, how very scary! What kinds of meds is your dad on? I know MTX can cause a cough and needs to be checked out by a doctor.  I understand he has had x-rays so his doctor should be telling you something very soon. I would have your mother go in with him to take notes and see what is going on. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Jane. Yes it is worrying but you seem to be doing all the right things. It may not be anything serious but its best to check him out. Is he on drugs for RA? His joints being seriously deformed seems like he didn't get early diagnosis for RA. I have slight misshaped fingers but the drugs now hopefully stop it worsening. I would also maybe get his thyroid checked as sweating and feeling faint can cause that. Hope this helps but it is for doctors to establish what's wrong. That can be tough I know. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.