Gallbladder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good morning

A few questions I have had couple of blood test and there a problem with my Gallblader and now liver. I am not in pain as such, just an uncomfortable feeling under my right rib like a babies foot. I do suffer from heartburn which is there constantly

Does having gallbladder problems make you gain weight?

And is there a diet plan to help you eat low fat foods?

Thank you Tracey

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No I don't personally think you gain weight with gb problems. As for the diet a normal low fat diet plenty fruit and veg. And low fat choices. No fried foods takeaways cheese dairy etc.

• Posted

Thanks Carole I have not started low fat diet .....but will need to start only found out last week there could be a problem x
  • Posted

Having gallbladder problems makes you lose weight not gain it because you are on a low fat or even no fat diet.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you Sarah I only found out friday so not started a low fat diet, but i need to x

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

?Having that uncomfortablefeeling just under the right rib is how my problem started.  I had it happen about five weeks before my surgery.  It didn't really hurt, but it was uncomfortable.  The next day it was gone.  Then five weeks later, I had that same feeling only this time it was accompanied with pain that radiated around to my back, and my shoulder hurt.  I could not find a comfortable position all night, and by early morning I was on my way to Urgent Care.  After some tests, my doctor sent me to the hospital where they had a bed waiting for me.  The next day, they cleaned out my bile duct, and the shoulder pain subsided.  Then the following day my gallbladder was removed.  It was gangrenous and neucrotic.   In my case, I had a high fever, and sepsis had set in.  Technicians were coming in about every 20 minutes to check my blood.  It turned out my liver and my kidneys were also infected and my urine was the color of coffee. I was very close to dying by the time my gallbladder was removed.

I'm not trying to scare you, but you need to get it checked out thoroughly?.  

A blood test is not enough, in my opinion. 

?As for a low fat diet, as it has been suggested, eat more fruits and veggies.  Stay away from all fried foods, and foods high in fat.  You will feel better with this type of diet and lose weight if you have any extra.

• Posted

Thank you Margaret

I hope you are starting to feel better.

I have an appt next Monday to see the consultant, I do not have a temp I keep checking ..... it is the heartburn that's the most annoying and when I think about it .... I have had it for over 6 months now and put it down to eating and drinking to much, which drinking I probably have 4 glasses of wine a month if that ..... my urine is fine in colour ...... I need to start a low fat diet, in the last 8 months I have put on 2 stone and have struggled to get it down ..... that's why I asked about weight ..... take care and once again thank you xxxxxxx

• Posted

Tracey,

?Thank you.  I had my surgery over two years ago, and I'm doing great.  I can say that I also suffered (suffer) from heartburn.  The doctor put me on a regimene of Prilosec, which helped heal my stomach.  I also take 1 tsp of baking soda twice a day in a glass of water, which helps very much. 

?I'm glad you're going back to the doctor.  I'd like to add that if you stay on a more alkaline - low fat diet, you will feel much better and the heartburn should be minimal.  Anything acidic can really irritate the stomach.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Everyone who responded to your post here gave you good advice. Please check with your doctor to see if you might have a fatty liver.  That would be revealed by an ultrasound.

A fatty liver cannot digest fat, instead fat is stored in the liver and in the body. It is caused by sugars, particularly high fructose corn syrup, which is in most manufactured foods.  Unfortunately, most manufactured foods that call themselves low fat have lots of sugar in them to make them taste good.  

Best of luck to you! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.