Doctors advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, so glad there's other people here who understand what I'm going through!

I'm a kitchen fitter & have had very bad frozen shoulder in my dominant right arm for 5 months now, I've been told by the DWP to go back to work, even though my GP has continued to sign me off as unfit for work.

I've got very, very limited range of movement as it is, if I take plenty of pain killers & return to work am I in danger of causing it much more damage or would it help ease it up do you think?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

As a once active gardener I really sympathise with you. DWP - what do THEY know?! Returning to work in a physical job like that could be dangerous not only for you but anyone working with you. OK so you are holding a door in place while you fit hinges and your arm fails or you suddenly get extreme pain and drop the door etc..... Can your doctor write to DWP and tell them words to this effect? Always remembering these people do not live in the real world!
    • Posted

The idiots there say although I'm not fit for "my" job (I'm self employed) that I'm fit for "A" job in an office or something.

I have no qualifications other than my own and I work for myself.

I fully intend & need to return to my own work asap, I'm just worried I may damage it further if I return. Just wondered if anyone knew if it was safe to do so or not.

Thank you for your reply 👍

• Posted

Been there, done that! It's like talking to a brick wall. Try and get your doctor to talk some sense into them. I remember 20 years ago when I lost my job as a designer, some of the interviews they sent me to, the folks said 'what are YOU doing here?' Good luck!

• Posted

WELL SAID Bobbysgirl! They DO Not live in the real world! 
  • Posted

I continued to work through my FS and I am convinced that was the reason I needed to have 3 operations on it, plus two guided spinal injections in the neck. My company was putting the pressure on me to turn up for work even though I was on heavy pain killers that could affect your driving ability and in excruciating pain. Consequently 3 operations and lots of time off work I lost my job as I was unable to get my arm up to type.  I would not recommend working through it. Surely if your GP are saying you are unfit the DWP cannot over rule this. If they have reason to think differently surely they would send you to an independant doctor.  Maybe worth looking into. Unless you sufer with FS people have no idea how chronic the pain is.Speak to your doc next time you see him/her and see if he will back it up with a letter.
    • Posted

Oh Jay, I'm sorry you lost your job. Sounds like we do the same kind of work. There is no way I could work righ tnow. I hope you feel better soon. (I hope we all feel better soon for that matter. lol)

• Posted

Hi

I feel for you. I have frozen shoulder in both shoulders and can't even dress myself. DWP are horrendous and people will die through them. I had a serious brain haemorrhage in November so I can't have any treatment other than very gentle exercises to do at home and see rehabilitation physio every 4/6 weeks. It's really difficult for me. Please listen to your GP

• Posted

Jeez I'm so sorry to hear that, I can't imagine what you must be going through.

I am also having difficulty washing & dressing, DWP just don't care, people ARE dying at their blood stained hands but all they care about is getting the employment statistics down.

I hope the clowns who make these decisions don't find themselves in our positions, but then I'm sure their friends in high places will adjust the goalposts for them.

• Posted

HI 

I have had a fs for about 6 months with limted rom, have continued playing golf as normal very badly I might add. The point is dont stop doing the things you have before it doesn;t make the fs pain or condition any worse. In fact I think it gets worse when you don't use it.

cheers

• Posted

Unfortunately some people take longer to feel better. As you probably know it can last 2 years maybe longer. I will say what speeded up my recovery I believe was trigger therapy. Put a tennis ball behind you. Or have a friend do it for you. Facing away from wall slowly press against ball under the shoulder blade. Work it easy until the pain gets less. My recovery was about 8months with 85 percent range of motion. Good luck.
  • Posted

That is rediclous! 

You are not suppposed to even drive on pain killers, how do they even expect you to work. I can't even remember what I went in the kitchen for, let alone try to work right now.  I would suggest not going back for a while, I agree with the other posters, push your doctor to have you signed off of work. 

I have had this condition for over a year now and it has been awful, the pain comes and goes for me, even though I am in the "Frozen" stage. I think it's becasue I pushed my recovery too hard in the first stage with physical therapy that was too aggressive. I did not listen to my body and take it easy. Be careful.  Good luck to you. 

• Posted

I'm sorry you feel that way. Everyone situation is different. Some people in the u.k. are told not to do any therapy. I will say only you and you alone what is best for you.

• Posted

My doctor HAS signed me off as unfit to work, the DWP have ruled over and above his head.

Cos they'd know better, right?

• Posted

And they are better qualified in what way? ...... It seems you have two choices, appeal and lose any benefits while the cogs churn, or say 'yes, OK you find me a job' and play the numpty card at interviews, hoping to God that your shoulder gets better before they find something. You could always go for interviews in a sling???? I know it's cheating, but there comes a time when you have to. You HAVE a job, you just can't do it at the moment.

• Posted

I have been reliably informed the person who makes that desicion is not a doctor, but a government appointed number cruncher.

They have already stopped my ESA, moved me onto JSA, then disqualified me from that too at the first appointment because I'm self employed!!!!!!

When I asked them how I'm supposed to pay a mortgage and care for my toddler I was told I'm not their responsibility!!!!

They have quite literally threw me to the gutter & washed their hands of me!!

I hate this government with a passion, they quite literally steal your taxes from you then decide you're not entitled to anything when I'm need

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.