PIP procedure not acceptable

Posted , 5 users are following.

Short version.  I was stupid  enough to contact the DWP when my illness deteriorated. (You're supposed to but I was not aware of the nightmare that would await me.  And I trust people to do their jobs properly.).  I was on DLA high mobility, medium for care.  Three months later, I still haven't had a decision.  I complained and the person said I should have had a paper assessment by ATOS, given it was a clear case. But I didn't.  I had a GP's letter for a home visit which they ignored. Then the nurse due to visit me  told ATOS that I wasn't at home when I was but I had an old DWP person with me as a witness to confirm.  ATOS then rang the nurse who arrived several hours later, in a track suit, apparently not having imputed the right postcode into her satnav. She claimed to have waited for one and a half hours somewhere, without ringing ATOS to check the address, or phone to see where I was (being housebound). to top it all, she didn't wash her hands, as nurses should. The medical exam part was for paraplegia, something I do not suffer from.

She  asked me the same questions in the form, so it was a complete waste of everyone's time.

One can complain but it has no effect.  The Ombudsman who deals with this is unlikely to side with you as she has a record of permitting poor practice. 

I don't understand why we are all accepting this. Why are we not all complaining to our MPs?  I did.  This can't be allowed to go on.  It's like spending 3 months on a trolley in A & E.

If you deteriorate, I advise you not to pass it on to the DWP while they are unable to proces s even simple cases of DLA transfers. It just means a lot of stress.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen, I'm presuming your only asking for your care package to be increased, as you were on DLA before it could be an uphill battle to crossover to PIP because the criteria has all changed, did you send in up to date medical assessments so they can see you determination on paper because if not you could be facing a long battle to increase your benefits, there could even be the danger that it could be reduced

• Posted

I found this frustrating too.  I'd written a lot on my form and included a letter from my GP backing up my claim.  I'd hoped that if I provided enough information I wouldn't have to be asessed but no such luck.  I was in my assessment for nearly an hour and a half repeating what was already on my form.  One example of time wasted is that my assessor wanted me to list all my medication.  I explained that I had put it on the form but that wasn't good enough.  My memory isn't great so if I'd been prepared I'd have had a little scrap of paper with them all written down but they'd have still been the same as I'd already written on the form and had already been confirmed by my GP.  What is the point of that?

• Posted

I recall being too tired to even look at my notes.
    • Posted

Just written a letter to the Mail in response to item that we're getting a new Parliamentary Ombudsman. the current one tended to side with whoever you were complaining about. The new one, hopefully, will be fairer and more robust.

• Posted

A lot of the question asked at the assessments are always based on what you've writen on your forms. They do this because they're checking what you've written is true. They may try to trick you but asking you the questions in a different way but a few times too. When i give advice to people i always advice to read through the form you filled in before attending any asssessment. I would also never report any worse changes in my condition/s it's never worth it in my oppinion. It may backfire on you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.