14 months post op.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all. Brand new member here. I am 14 months post op. Done really well hip feels like it's always been there. 5 days ago started getting very bad burning pain all around new hip. This morning I have discovered a large hard lump above incision site. I have done the sensible thing and made appointment with doc tomorrow. Would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Thanks in advance. xx

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hookie, its hard to cope with something seeming to have gone wrong so long after HR but it might not be anything major, are you having any problems weight bearing, your GP I'm sure will be able to put your mind at rest,

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Absolutely no problem at all with weight bearing or movement. It's so strange which is why I thought I could ask if any other THR patients had experienced this. xx

• Posted

well I develped a bump a month after the THR was told that it was a pocket of blood ....what it turned out to be was a serious infection!!

so get it checked out asap!!!

• Posted

Thanks. Got appointment tomorrow. Hopefully nothing sinister, as I am currently awaiting a call from Traumatology for my second THR. xx
  • Posted

Hi 

just had a new hip 3 months ago ,doesn't sound right to be . Do you have any kind of infection in your body at the moment at  all ? 

Your doing the right think heading off to the dr , hope all goes well . 

Please let us know how you are ,hugs X 

• Posted

Oh bless you. No infections so fingers crossed it's something else. Just can't believe I'm having pain and swelling after sailing through the last 14 months. Will let you know what my medico says manana xxx

• Posted

Hi Hookie, I'm 15 months post op. Lump could just be muscles and tissues. I get it sometimes and just keep massaging. Burning I still get from time to time, never been an infection that's caused it just inflammation in the muscles. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you so much for that. I've not had any problems up to now. Let's hope you are right. Thanks again feel a bit less worried now. xxx

• Posted

hi hookie, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hipsters ...

checking in with you to find out how you are doing ?

Hopefully the lump is just some formed scar tissue - painful but can be treated !!

let us know okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

What did the dr say? I hope all is okay. Is it hot to touch? Hoping for you it is okay - I too have a hardish lump - it is muscles and tissue but it doesn't hurt, which I guess is the key difference and why you are worried.

Please let us all know how you get on today - and hoping for you all is well, infection is much less likely by this stage so try not to worry (I know we always do) big hugs hope all is fine 

• Posted

Been to see doc he thinks I have an infection. Cripes. He's put me on Ciprofloxacino and sent an urgent request to Traumatology for an appointment. So I have to wait and see. Thanks for all the kind responses. xx

• Posted

Oh my goodness Hookie, how can that be after so long past the operation? I am completely gutted for you.

We have had lots of people on here with infections in the past, please post a message and ask for their advice and support. I am glad you have an urgent referral - hopefully it has been caught early as you were so observant. 

Is it still burning now? Big hugs - really didn't expect you to post that sad We are all here to get through. 

• Posted

Thank you Rose. To be honest I'm still hoping that the antibiotics are a precaution. I am waiting for a surgery date for second hip and am praying that it's just that the new hip is having to do extra work to compensate. xx

• Posted

How awful for you. I, too, am 14 months post op and in my naivety thought they whip out the bad bit put in a nice shiny new bit and away you go. They never tell you, wisely I suppose, all the numerous things that can go wrong. Did they tell you where an infection in a sealed area, ie inside your body, can come from? What causes it? And why so long after your op? I really hope the antibiotics work quickly. Good luck and rapid healing.
    • Posted

Not sure if it is an infection yet, hopefully just have a very cautious doctor. There is however, always a small risk of this happening. Any kind of bacteria getting into the blood stream can potentially cause an infection in the prosthesis. If I go to dentist even for a clean I always take an antibiotic first. xx
    • Posted

They do tell you. It was in the form that you signed twice and they gave you a copy. The one that consents to the operation. It included a 1 in 200 chance of death!
    • Posted

Hopefully it is just a precaution and it turns out to be something else. It's just possible that a bleeder or a fluid build up has happened. Those are annoying and painful but nothing more. When I had my hip replaced it was packed with antibiotics as a precaution because of my osteonecrosis, which increased the risk of infection. I do wonder why they don't do this as a routine thing. But apparently, so my surgeon said, there are also some bacteria that don't need oxygen, and if they get in they can sit around slowly multiplying for ages, and suddenly have a population explosion. That's why the hip was packed - to kill off any of them. He also ran tests on the removed parts of the hip to ensure there were none present. And he helpfully mentioned that the test for bone cancer was negative. That being the test he didn't tell me about! Now that was probably a good thing...

• Posted

Actually those sound like quite high odds. I suppose I read it, I read all the small print, and decided it had to be done regardless so didn't dwell on it. Glad I didn't, in retrospect!

• Posted

I have Avascula Necrosis. Not sure if it's same thing since I'm in Tenerife and obvs it's all done in Spanish. They don't tell you much here so you to go Google mad. There is also a very low chance of infection here, their hygiene procedures are second to none. Fingers crossed it's nada as we say here. 😉 xx

• Posted

When will you know Hookie? Have they ordered new tests? Is the burning sensation easing with the antibiotics. Hopefully as you say the dr is just being extra careful.
    • Posted

What a huge relief - heavens the very last thing you need after this operation is to be told news like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.