Ringing in left ear

Posted , 5 users are following.

So it's been 5 days now since my left ear started ringing. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm not around loud noises or anything. All I was doing was some laundry and playing with my daughter when it started ringing. I didn't think anything of it at the time but it never went away. I went to see a dr the following day and he checked my ears, nose and throat and said everything appeared fine. There was no blockage or infection but it still is ringing and feels like it's blocked or something. My hearing seems fine other than the ringing. Loud noises make it worse. I have no other symptoms other than I may get a headache from the ringing. Will this go away on its own or should I see another dr for a second opinion?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leahrluz,

Sounds like you have Tinnitus, If it is then It could go on it's own, Have you ever had a Hearing Test? Does it sound similar to a Noise they would put through the Headphones? If the Dr has seen no damage in your Ear, then there is no real cure for it, just ways to manage it, I have had Tinitus for as long as I can remember, all sorts of sounds though, at one point I thought I was going Mad. But I have spoken to People that have said its gone after a few Weeks. Everyone is different. Where does the Ringing sound like its comming from? Inside or outside of your Head?

• Posted

To me it sounds to be coming from the outside of my head. Sometimes the ringing isn't very loud but when it isn't it has this "full" feeling... hard to describe.... 

• Posted

Are you able to Pop your Ears? A bit like when your on an Aeroplane. Could be pressure build up. He said the canal was clear, so I'm wondering where this Full feeling is coming from...Maybe from behind the Drum. Do you ever get sinus problems, or even regular colds? Does it feel tender if you gently push the area behind the Ear lobe at the top of your Jaw line with two fingers? Sorry about all the questions. smile

• Posted

Yes I am able to pop my ears but it does nothing, I don't have any sinus problems but last few days I feel as if I'm maybe coming down with a cold. It does not feel tender when I push behind my ear. 

• Posted

Hi Leah - you might want to get a follow up with a good ENT. Nip it in the bud while you can and educate yourself on Tinnitus, called T by all us sufferers. Hopefully, yours is a temporary thing and will just disappear. Typically, if you have "T" you have hearing loss to some degree. You just don't realize that yet. The noise and blockage has me a bit concerned which sounds like Meneires but I'm not a doctor and it would be foolish to even try to diagnose you online if I was a doctor. 

I hope it all goes away for you. I have suffered with T for a very long time. In fact, I never remember not having T... I have had numerous hearing tests and have lost a lot of hearing especially in one ear.  Now, I suffer with some vertigo and other issues. I believe mine is connected to Fibromyalgia. You didn't mention Fibromyalgia, so I'm assuming we can't hang our hat on that connection?

So, do yourself a favor if it continues.. Get an appointent with a good ENT that will give you a hearing test and jump on this from the early start. Although there is no cure for T, there are things you can do to help the ringing and distraction.

I wish you the very best and please let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

thank you. I will give it a little more time but if it doesn't go away I do plan on getting checked again. 

• Posted

See another doctor. My ENT ran a battery of test and gave me medication
  • Posted

Hi, I would make an immediate appointment for a full hearing test. Sometimes you can have a bit of fluid behind the ear drum even if the doctor can't see it or you could have a slight, sudden, high frequency hearing loss which is why you might hear tinnitus. You will get a lot of answers about what your hearing, tinnitus and middle ear system is doing. Fullness and tinnitus in one ear only is also a reason to check for a small beniegn growth that can occur on the hearing nerve. Chances are you may not find an answer and it may disappear as quickly as it began. The reason I say to get an immediate hearing test is, if it is a slight sudden hearing loss, your GP or ENT can often reverse it by treating you with steroids.

• Posted

Yes, I was checked for all of that and nothing. They are going to do a CT scan and frequency test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.