Newly diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was admitted to hospital with suspected kidney stones, CT scan later and then diagnosed in November with Diverticulitis. I was on 2 lots of antibiotics and off work for 3 weeks. Started to eat again and thought everything was going ok till last week then ended up with more pain and doc said it was another infection so even more antibiotics! Doc refusses to send me to a dietician but i am so struggling with meal ideas of what to eat. How do i know if a certain food will upset me, is the reaction instant? For example the pain im having today is it caused by something i ate yesterday or today? Sorry for all the questions but i feel completely confussed. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had my first flare last April. Then may, then June every time my menstrual started I had a flare.. I got in birth control and haven't had a flare since. So strange!!! While I was having the flares do a liquid diet for about 2 to 3 days to give your colon a good break then start eating small portions of soft low fiber food and slowly work yourself up to fiber. Keep your bowels moving though, walk if you have too. Then after your flare my main suggestion is move your bowels everyday .. some of us do pysullum I like apple cider vinegar one teaspoon in warm water and about 30min it works. Hope that helps

• Posted

Hi,

Diverticulitis can be very tricky. I first got it when I was 49, ended up in hospital for a few dsys of IV antibiotics then home for 2 more weeks of oral antibiotics. Was good for about 6 years then the same deal. This past 4 months was in and out of hospital on IVs and home on pills. Long story short, i had a foot of my sigmoid removed one month ago.

My point is, you can have a simmering infection that gets knocked down by antibiotics but never goes completely away, or you might get lucky and it will go away for long periods of time if you go to the bathroom regularly, eat lots of fiber and exercise. If you are having a current attack, you first stay on clear lquids for 2-3 days consisting of broth, tea, water, gatorade, apple juice that is strained. You then go to full liquids- such as creamy soups-not chunky though, pudding, ice cream, grits, eggs, cream of wheat, ripe bananas, applesauce, stay on full liquids for 3-4 dsys then soft foods such as mashed potatoes no skin, rice, toast with white bread only, mac and cheese, baked chicken or fiish, cooked green beans, cooked carrots, zuchini or crooked neck yellow swuash. Stay on soft for 4-5 days then start adding back other cooked vegies and lean red meat. Low fiber for 2 weeks after your last antibiotic pill is taken. Then you want to start with fiber again. Drink smoothies, take benefiber or metamucil to stay regular. Diverticulitis is an infection caused by ecoli in feces that gets trapped in the diverticulum causing diverticulitis. Avoid sugar if possible. It feeds the bad bacteria in our guts. Drink plain kefir (1/2 cup a day) make sure it has 9 grams of sugar or less! Eat yogurt. Take a probiotic with bifidus bacteria in it. It keeps the gut healthy. Drink plenty of water.

• Posted

Gigi can you imagine rubbing fecal matter on an open wound on your body. That's what your doing when you have a flare up in your colon. So how do you stop it? Take psyllium husk. Real simple formula clean colom mean zero infection. And the only thing that keeps it cleaned out is psyllium husk.

Send the message to all.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you have joined us with Diverticular Disease.  At the start of a flare up it is recommended that you stick to a fluid only diet with no fibre, to give your bowels a rest and the chance for the antibiotics to start working and your insides to recover.  For me this is clear soup, clear fruit juice, black tea.  Then I introduce things like yogurt and meal replacement drinks for the essential minerals and vitamins.  Once the pain starts to recede you can slowly introduce easily digestible fibre in the form of blended soups, vegetable puree.  

I suggest you look through this site for a post from Julia1040 which gives excellent ideas on diet.  Others of us have joined the thread and added our ideas.  Basically each of us is different and reacts differently to various foods.  So the best thing you can do is keep a food diary for a time and check your pain flares against what you have eaten.  For me the triggers are gluten and full fat products.  For others it varies - nuts, seeds, popcorn, red meat, dairy.  

I'm not a medical person, but I think you should be looking at food over the previous 24 hours.  I know it takes some 2 hours for the stomach to empty and start to pass through the rest of your system.  Infection is caused when food becomes trapped inside the pockets (Diverticula), causing the pain.  Unfortunately it can take time for the pain to go, from days to weeks or even months, as your insides heal.

There are supplememnts which some of us take which help to control this disease.  I get psyllium husk on prescription from my doctor.  It is a natural soluble fibre which bulks and softens the stools making them easier to pass and is a mild laxative.  It is just mixed with water and chugged down quickly.  Depending on which country you are in brand names differ (Metamucil in the USA, Fybogel in the UK, plus others).  Others recommend pure Aloe Vera juice which has long been used in the Canary Islands as a natural antiseptic and digestive aid.  In addition to these two, I also take a probiotic drink daily.  Since starting this regine, my symptoms have subsided dramatically and I just get the odd twinge (unless I eat a trigger food!!).

I hoppe this helps a bit, but you will find this forum full of good ideas.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Mrsl try psyllium husk ASAP. You do not have to suffer any longer. What goes in must come out. It's simple and most folks in this forum need to understand that if you keep your colon cleaned out on a regular basis your not going to get waste trapped which causes the flare ups. Bottom line psyllium husk does that for you and the only downside is you have to go more often. The surgeon I visited was the one who explained this to me and I have never been back to see him. Take 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water twice per day once in morning and once at night. Do this and you will stop diverticulitis. One of the biggest user of it is Janet below aka Felinia. She listened to me and now takes it twice per day and all her pain has gone away.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thankyou all for your kind advice. Just back from Doc and surprise surprise infection is still giving me pain. Doc has now referred to to a colonrectal surgeon (Scotland) so need to wait for appointment. Cant sleep at night as i sleep on my belly and it just feels sore and swollen all the time. Still cant go to toilet much even after 40ml lactalose and 4 movicol satchets per day. Now been given another antibiotic to try called Metronidazole. Swear im growing feathers as all i eat is plain chicken! Xx
    • Posted

Mrsl I am sorry to hear that news. Good thing is your on top of this and handling very quickly. One thing I did on my last diverticulitis occurrence several years ago I stayed on the psyllium husk while I had the pain. I believe it made me go to the bathroom more often and kept all waste cleared out of the colon. I believe that made me heal much faster in my opinion.

Stay strong and keep fighting it. You will be pain free soon. Good luck 🍀

• Posted

Thank you, fingers crossed. X
    • Posted

Hi, we have talked a few times.. I bought the pysullum and had a hard time taking it .. pretty gross.. How many times a day do u drink the pysullum? And very personal here but do u have a movement daily from it?
    • Posted

Hi Hollie

I get the orange flavour, mix it with a tumbler of water and gulp it down in one hit.  The plain is pretty revolting, but I find the orange in enough water is fine.  Don't whatever you do let it stand as it turns to slime!!!  I take it twice a day and I have 4 - 6 BM per day.  But I always had more than one daily before the big D.  It's a bit like the aloe vera juice - yuk, but get it down quickly!!

• Posted

Hi Hollie. Yes it is gross but the flavored ones are very easy to drink. Please note the goal here is to keep the colon clear and moving on a regular basis. This will do that for you and you will go several times per day. The product will bulk up your stool and push it all out in a timely matter. When you got to go you will go fast so make sure you are by a bathroom. Once you start taking it your body will develops a routine and for me I know when I have to go every day. Frankly it's very similar to a colon cleansing and once your done going you know your colon is clear. Clean colon means no diverticulitis 😀. Many triathletes take it to clean themselves out because the last thing you want is being in a competition and you have to go.

Get on it and you will see your not going to be in anymore pain. Good luck.🍀

• Posted

Janet is correct and twice daily two teaspoons in 12 ounces of water and drink swiftly. Again the goal is keep your colon clean and make all the waste move out of the colon as fast as possible. Once your colon is getting the cleansing it needs the flare ups will go away.

Thank you Janet for clarifying this to everyone😀.

• Posted

I'm lucky to go once a day and it's something I have to work at.. very frustrating. I will suck it up and start taking it. Thank you!!! You always help me smile

• Posted

Thank you, you have been a help to so many on the forums. I am so thankful for everyone. You are so right.. and I'm going to start tomorrow. I will be home all weekend so I will see what happens. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hollie yes you will have bowel movements 4 to 6 times per day. Mine are mostly in moring and I feel great once I know I am cleaned out daily. If I ran marathons or a triathlete I can see why they take this product because once your bowels are empty you can run a marathon and have zero issues down below. Another point I wish to make is I still eat whatever I want and I have zero stomach aches like I had in past. If I eat something that upsets my tummy I know right away because I have to go and it flushes it all out of my system. Get on it now and you will live pain free. God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.