What is a high temp/fever in adults?

Posted , 4 users are following.

At my university we recently received an email about a student admitted to hospital with bacterial meningitis. As a result we have been told to be vigilant for symptoms. As someone with OCD and health anxiety this has (as you can imagine) lead to me making extra sure that I cannot miss anything including the classic sign of a fever. 

I have tried to look up what temperature classes as a high temp and a fever, but the majority of the results have been for children- and of those for adults they have differed from 37.2 to 38, so I'm not really sure? Are there any set guidelines? The NHS website also only seems to specific fevers in children 

Many thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Above 100.4 F (38 C) is the standard figure, Below this and above normal Temperature is considered as mild fever!
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Do you mind me asking what would be classed as 'normal temperature' as well? Many thanks 

• Posted

normal temp ranges across individuals and is around 36 - 37.1, some slightly lower but normally not higher
  • Posted

Dont rely on a temperature reading to diagnose yourself [or anyone] with bacterial meningitis. You will have a severe headache,feel very hot and unwell,a stiff neck and nausea.   You need to get medical help immediately. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.