THP What were you doing when dislocating your hip after surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey Hippies smile

I'm afraid curiosity has killed the cat.  I can't help but wonder what were people doing when their hips have dislocated after surgery?

I'm still very scared this will happen one day when I least expect.

I am now 17 months post surgery and a few months ago whilst rolling over in bed I ended up in excruciaing pain and I though I had dislocated my hip but it was OK I didn't.  I've been told if a dislocation has occured you would have lost movement in your leg so I was relieved when I tried to move my leg that it was OK.

Has anybody had a similar close call or experinced a dislocation?

PS I love hearing everyone's stories smile

Beth

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thankfully it has not happened to me. I was told never to twist in opposite directions at the same time.
    • Posted

I wasn't given any advice to worry about anyhting after the restrictions were lifted, can I ask what you mean by never twisting in opposite directions? It might be useful to know smile

• Posted

Example I was given. Sitting on a chair, twist legs to left. Still sitting turn from waist level backwards to right bend down to floor and pick up object

Apparently some people do it when getting off a highbarstool

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

It's interesting hearing advice people have been given.  Most sounds the same I've heard not to twist in opposite directions as well.

All the best.

Beth smile

• Posted

Do you cross your legs from the knee now? Thanks for the info - I am going to be a bit more careful!
  • Posted

hi beth, 

sounds like you are doing really well with your new hip ..

Why are you not trusting your new hip joint? 

The risk for dislocation is greatest in the first few months after surgery while the tissues are healing and that is why restrictions are put in place -

There are multiple reasons why new hipjoint slips out of socket early in healing process ... 

Just be careful and mind your steps ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

My doctor told me because I am so young (49 lol) I should continue with the precautions on a permanent basis if I want this new hip to last as long as possible.  I don't want to have to have it replaced again anytime soon.

Although I don't do a lot of excercise because I still work and am active with household chores, ets he described me as 'active' in comparison to other patients.

Thanks for your kind words smile

Beth

• Posted

hi beth, 

arghhhh ... sometimes a remark like that stays with us for life ...

there are many members here who went back to"normal" life - even went back to horseback riding, playing golf, and other sports (judo or karate even) - 

I think you are doing great -- 

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

My consultant said the same - that I should be careful not to ride a bike on road, ski, no jogging, running or anything that will put any kind of pressure on the join sustained or not....he didn't mention twisting though, which is the thing I do the most without realisting it.

I am 41 and I need this joint to last too, so completely understand your feelings of being cautious. 

We are all different some of us feel that we can do anything once we are recovered, that is why we have the surgery - and I can completely get that - enjoying an active exciting life is the goal.

For me the goal is different (and for you too by the sounds of it) my goal is to look after the hip so I do not need two or three or more revisions on just one hip. At some point the other one too - therefore doubling that number. So the goal is to keep it going for as long as possible, my goal is simply to enjoy every day life without any risk whatsoever for as long as possible without the need for revision!!

smile 

• Posted

That threw me - I am not used to seeing another Beth!

?If you do a search, there was another thread not too long ago on exactly the same subject that got a lot of responses. It may help - or not!

?My physio (personal one, very experienced and qualified) told me that with modern surgical techniques, if the surgery is done properly and if you are sensible in the first several weeks (so don't do something that hurts) the modern research says there is no correlation between particular movements and dislocation. It's just bad luck if it happens, and especially once you have a few months under your belt. Her advice was to be sensible but not worry about it either - the tension from constantly worrying about how you move and where you sit etc., can actually make you miserable.

• Posted

Good morning!! Unfortunately I am one of those that got my hip dislocated after three weeks! 😞 doctor was going to do a closed reduction meaning he was going to try to pop the hip back in place but couldn't. wound up having a total hip revision but I've always heard if you do dislocate hip you will be in excruciating pain, but me I wasn't in that kind of pain. As a matter fact I was still walking on it & trying to do my exercises, but I did notice my leg became shorter my hip was higher. As time went on I was starting to get more pain but it wasn't as bad as I was told it would be. I'm not sure how I dislocated it I wasn't told that I couldn't twist and I may have done it while trying to sweep and mop. I know the first six weeks are very crucial because that is the time that bone grows into the new hip as per my doctor. After the revision I was six weeks non-weight-bearing one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I couldn't do hip flexion past 80 and no hip exercises. I'm now doing better and weight-bearin, I'm five months out but still dealing with a lot of tendonitis, stiff joint and weak muscles. I'm doing physical therapy it's helped. But I'm in a lot of discomfort from the tendonitis. Groin discomfort too. So I think you're good. But there will always be precautions you will need to adhere to as this is an artificial joint. Sounds like you are doing well. Wishing you all the best!! Hugs, 🤗 LD

• Posted

I had lots of problems with tendonitis previously, and my physio taught me how to massage it myself. Made a huge difference. The technique is called frictioning and involves putting moderate pressure strokes across the tendon. If you Google frictioning or friction massage there is loads of help in the net. The great thing is that you can't do it wrong (the worst  outcome of doing it wrong is that it doesn't work!). 

Can I ask, nothing to do with hips, but I find this forum friendlier than others - any  tips or advice on non weight bearing? I have surgery later this year on my ankle and will be non weight bearing for six weeks. I've done a lot of research but personal advice is always helpful....

• Posted

Thanks for the tip on dealing with this Tendonitis. As for the non weight bearing....lots of elevation of leg and foot as blood tends to settle especially at the foot. My foot always felt cold and got lots of tingling and was very dark in color, purple ish and puffy especially if it was hanging down from sitting too much. So elevation is good. Will y be in a wheelchair? Crutches?Some massaging of foot if you're able to tolerate it will be good. Helps with the tingling sensation. Unfortunately not much can be done until you can weight bear and get circulation again to that foot. Wishing you all the best on your ankle surgery. Hugs 🤗 LD

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Sounds weird not many Beths! Your first comment was very re-assuring.  Yes I do need to try and relax and stop worrying so much.  Thank you.

Yes I find this forum friendly as well and I've picked up some great tips!

All the best with your ankle surgery smile

Beth

• Posted

Hi Linda, oh you poor thing sounds like it would have been very scary. Glad to hear you are doing better now.  I've never had tenonitis but I also have arthritis so I can understand the stiffniss in the joints.

Thanks for your kind words.  All the best to you too smile

Beth

• Posted

Yes I too have arthritis in left knee and foot and both shoulders. Being non weight bearing for 6 weeks put a tremendous strain on my shoulders. As I used walker to get to my room and bathroom while hopping on good leg! Not to mention when in rehab for 2 weeks that had me using walker and hopping the whole rehab room on walker!!! I would spend a lot of time in wheelchair. My hands too were so sore and calloused. I was using weight lifting gloves to push myself in wheelchair and walker. So you may want to get some gloves to help your hands out while you're non weight bearing for those six weeks. I was already getting calloused before my second surgery because of pressure I was putting on left hand. Take care!! God's blessings to you! 🤠

• Posted

Thank you Madla! I'm still a work in progress. Sometimes it feels like " if it isn't one thing it's another " process. Hoping one day I will get better. Hugs! 🤗 LD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.