Picking things up off floor.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had both hips replaced 9 weeks ago. I'm coming along nicely. However, my flexibility is horrible. I still have three weeks of 90 degree precautions remaining.   Once my precautions are lifted I need to relearn how to pick things up off the floor again. It has been years since I could do it without getting down on one knee. I have found good info on how to do it with one hip done, but not two.  Any advice on how I can retrain myself to do this safely?  Flexibility is key I'm sure, but tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Along the same lines will my flexibility ever come back? And, if so, when will I start seeing improvements in my flexibility? I am so stiff which makes it hard to reach down past my knees. Right now there is no way I could reach the floor.
  • Posted

Are you doing physical therapy and exercises? If not, why not?
    • Posted

Hey Steve, thanks for replying. I had my hips replaced through the VA (veterans administration). They did a good job, but only offered in home physical therapy for 8 weeks ( they will not provide me with out patient therapy and I can't afford it on my own). The stuff I learned from the in home therapist is basic stuff but I have been doing it every day from the beginning. I'm up to walking 1.5 miles each day and I'm starting to do some stretching, but I'm careful about what I do because I'm still under precautions, and because I haven't had professional therapy to show me what is safe.

• Posted

Additional info, 51 years old, still active and working in a physical job (although I'm on leave right now), relatively healthy but with osteoarthritis for almost 5 years prior to hip replacements, posterior approach.

• Posted

Jim, it takes up to a year. Walking, biking, swimming are all good. You can also find post surgical posterior exercises on the web and I am sure others will pipe in. I had posterior a year ago. Big improvement at 3 and 6 months. 66 yr old former Marine posterior approach. I do everything I did before except jumping out of planes and cut back in martial arts. It will get better.
    • Posted

Thanks Steve. The reassurance helps. I'm impatient and just need to slow down.  Would love to eventually loosen up is all. I'll keep working at it. Ex navy myself. Semper Fi.

• Posted

hi jim, 

sounds like you are doing really well ... 

oh dear, 9 weeks post op and not all that flexible yet, huh ... 

you had bilateral hip replacement surgery .. 2 hip joints were replaced .. your body is still in major healing mode from  major surgery as well as adapting to the hardware ... 

you need to give it more time, big guy .... Use your grabber to pick things up from the floor - sock aid to put on socks - no shame in still needing these aids -

Many here on the forum did not get any physical therapy , so 8 weeks in house PT sounds really good to them ... what were you advised - any exercises to increase flexibility ?  

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, 

your advice advice is greatly appreciated. Yes, in home therapy showed me the basics (leg and knee lifts, leg slides, etc). I've been doing them faithfully. However, they didn't show up a lot and I wasn't able to glean a lot of info from them about advanced stretches or exercises. I'm just awfully stiff and I guess a little anxious to know whether it will get better.

• Posted

Hi Jim

It does take time to regain flexibility - think months, not weeks.

In the meantime, have you tried 'the golfer's bend'?  Stick your operated leg out backwards and bend your good leg. 

This was the method I used.

Good luck and keep doing the exercises and go for plenty of walks.

• Posted

Sorry Jim - I just realised you said that you had both hips done (teach me to reply when I've only just woken up), so you won't actually have a 'good leg'.

Do you have a 'better leg' that you could use to bend slightly (emphasis on slightly)?

• Posted

Thanks Chloeparrot. You are reassuring. No I don't have a better leg, maybe the left. I told my wife that I have forgotten certain things, like how to pick things up off the floor, because it has been so long since I've been able to do it. Listening to all of your responses I guess I just need to be patient.

• Posted

Hi, curious that after 2 hip replacements you can, after 12 weeks, stop the 90 degree cautions?? I was told that this caution was forever and no way could I sit on a low seat etc., again?

Regards

Ellen

• Posted

And just to prove what they "know" I was told 12 weeks by the hospital too, but my own physio said that was "ancient history information" and there is no link between modern surgical techniques, bending and dislocation - so, in other words, with caution to not push past the pain threshold (which is personal to each individual) - and that there was no reason not to bend! I can already sit in and rise from a lower seat at ten weeks. I am just careful to take it slowly and have support in rising.

• Posted

Hey Ellen,

The hospital is careful to tell me what I will or will not be able to do. My 90 degree restrictions, once lifted, will allow me to get rid of the raised toilet seat, etc.  I also assume from all my reading that a lot of you go on to increased flexibility and more active lifestyles. I have been assuming that, with care, I will eventually be able to do certain things, like pick things up off the floor again. I'm hoping so because, at my age, there are still many things I want to do.smile

Thanks so much

• Posted

I'd suggest that nine weeks is far to early to worry about this amount of flexibility on a bi-lateral and after years of being unable to bend.

?Have you discussed this with your physio? There are exercises like the semi-squats that improve strength in the correct areas, but I would be loathe to suggest you try such exercises without a physio saying to. If you don't have physio now, it would probably be worth paying provately for a few sessions. I have found personal physiotherapy far superior to that offered by the hospitals.

• Posted

Thanks Beth,

I don't really have a therapist. If things did not get better, I might consider paying out of pocket for a few sessions. Listening to everyone's advice, I should give it some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.