Mg reduction of fluoxetine.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been on fluoxetine for six weeks. I switched over from celexa. However two weeks ago I was reduced to 40mg from 60 of fluoxetine as 60 had me wired way up. I was doing better but this morning woke to anxiety and just out of it. My pharmacist said it would take time for the 20 mg to move out of my system. However was wondering will I adjust to the 40. And I know it's different for everyone but does it gradually get better in the adjustment process?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi danny been on fluoxetine for years & this initially can happen as im going thru the opposite way round. The anxiety horrendous goin thru the roof as im needing to go up from 40 to 60 again. If it doesnt settle within a couple of weeks see the dr. Let us know how u get on. Good luck :0)

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Thanks for the reply. When you say initially is it common for the start up. And will I adjust to this? Any help is sure appreciated
  • Posted

Be patient you will eventually feel much better as the drug reduces

BOB

• Posted

Hi danny yes it will pass. Its just a bit hard going as your body gets used to the new dose. Hope the anx calms down soon for you let me know how yr getting on. But if symptoms too much to handle in the meantym book in with yr dr see if there is anything they can suggest in the meantime xx
    • Posted

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and words. just tough going on the roller coaster. Sure looking forward to the feeling better days. It helps hearing from people that's been through it.

• Posted

The dr. Prescribed me clonazepam but haven't hardly taken any. Maybe 3/4 of one pill. They're .5 mg. Afraid of getting dependent on them. I don't know much about them but know to be careful with them. Again thanks for your words.

• Posted

All i can say to that danny is if yr responsible & yr dr is they will only be prescribed short term & a good dr should lower the dose as u feel less anxious to wean u off them if any dependancy did occur. As for me i dont abuse meds as in of the valium benzo type i use to help only when i cant physically or mentally control the staggering anxiety ie roller coaster. Only my personal take on that of course xxx also here in the uk its near on impossible for that to occur as ur depression and anx has to be severe as they are rarely prescribed. I just dont like ppl suffering or being scared of taking them. But take them v sparingly on the days when you think ur losing the battle xx

• Posted

Sent a reply which has ended up nr the top of the discussion, unsure y lol read above :0)
    • Posted

Hey Amanda. Hope all is well. Well I'm on day 18 and still not feeling well. I don't see a lot of fluoxetine mg reduction on any forums. I was on 60 mg of celexa for 3 months my psychiatrist was gonna lower me back down but had a manufacturer change and messed me up so she then switched me to fluoxetine 60 mg. However that's when the 60 of fluoxetine had me wired way up. So they told me to drop to 40. Just worrying will I adjust to the 40 mg? I was only on the 60 mg of fluoxetine for 20 days. And had been off the citalopram for those 10 days. Do people adjust to a 20 mg drop.

• Posted

10 days on fluoxetine not 20. Sorry
    • Posted

Any help is sure appreciated
    • Posted

Yes takes 2-3 weeks or at least has in my case im going the other way round xx 40-60 mg xxx
  • Posted

Good luck danny xxxx
    • Posted

Hi danny , any improvement? X
    • Posted

Aw gud to hear xx yes me too ;0) not 100% but definately improving. Ohh so nice to hear ♡
    • Posted

Hey Amanda. How are ya doing? I was doing better at 31/2 weeks but then at 6 weeks have had a couple days of down again. Is this a normal route. They say it is but just wondering.
    • Posted

Hi danny. It can be yes and in my case soon settled. So shud do for u ♡. But ive been doing so well for about a month somethings set me off today. Now massive anxiety. Feel awful xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.