Bartholin's Abcess: How I got it to burst!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey Ladies,

I want to share my experience, because so many of your discussions helped me, so I thought I'd contribute to those having issues. Just a bit of backstory--I'm 27 and have suffered from bartholin's cyst flare ups since I was 24. It started not long after I had a copper IUD inserted. My GP at the time told me with the IUD I'd be more prone to infections, such as UTIs--and apparently Bartholin's cysts. It always happened sometime usually after intercourse where a lump would devlop and within the span of 12 hours I was unable to walk and would have to go to the emergency room. I've had 4 marsupializations under general anaesthetic, which solved the problem short term but every 6 months another lump would pop up. It sucked because it constantly put a halt to my sex life, work life, and also caused anxiety that it would return. I removed the IUD after the fourth operation, which I thought solved the problem, as I didn't have another cyst for a year and a half up until recently.

I noticed 2 weeks ago after sex that a painless lump on my right gland was forming slowly. I had a bit of pressure while walking, but nothing drastic like I had in the past. I read on these forums that a raw onion applied to the cyst worked wonders, so I did and I couldn't believe how effective it was! However, I got cocky and took up having sex again too soon (within 1 week of treatment) and stopped the onion remedy before the cyst was fully gone. It aggravated the cyst and caused it to abscess. Don't be dumb like me and have sex while you have a cyst!

The abscess was super painful, the size of a pea and felt like it had cuts on it. Quite squishy and tender to touch as well. I took up with the onion trick again, but that alone wasn't helping, so I went back to reading discussions and some people said tea tree oil works for this type of abcess. Big mistake! It could just be me, but it really aggravated the area and caused it to grow to the size of a marble. I was so close to taking myself to the hospital. From that point I decided I needed to try to get it to burst on my own, so I purchased a gel heat pack and constantly had it applied to the area while I rested in bed. I would ocassionally switch out with a raw onion slice as it's a natural antiseptic and cooling/relief agent. I periodically took brief showers just to keep the area clean--no soap whatsoever, just water alone. I knew what I was doing was working cause it very slowly started draining white pus.  It took 6 days from first sign of abscess to rupture, but when it finally burst it was a huge relief! The rupture was very bloody and pussy, which meant majority of the infection came out. I took a shower immediately to clean the area and applied an onion on it. So far it's still draining a bit but there's no lump anymore.

My advice is know the difference between a cyst and abcess. When you see signs of a cyst, start on your home remedies immediately. Warm baths are great to bring down swelling. Heat packs are your absolute best friend. The onion trick personally was the best option for my cyst. However, when my cyst turned into an abscess, the heat pack was the real winner. Avoid sex or any sort of strenuous activities that could cause sweat or disruption to the area!  Anti-bioitics were useless for me personally, although I won't discount others from trying them if a cyst becomes infected. And my last piece of advice is try to avoid hospitals unless you develop a fever, feel nautious, or your abscess is growing at an alarming rate. I truly believe home remedies work with patience. :-)

-Dani

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

First, I want to say you are very brave! lol I would NEVER consider putting an onion slice on my vagina! Lol!! Have you talked to you doctor about removing the entire bartholian gland? I had a total marsuipalization of the gland in October 16 and was back to a normal sex life by the end of 6 wks. And I would try to get to the doctor asap to start on a course if antibiotics. Good luck and thanks for sharing! I hope your home remedies worked and you won't need another procedure.

• Posted

After having this thing so many times, you'll try anything lol. I talked to my gyno about the procedure to remove my entire right gland but she was highly against it as it's a really difficult procedure and the gland is too deep to be able to remove it all. She said the cyst could still come back eventually. I guess it depends on the surgeons experience. That's so awesome you removed the gland and still having a normal sex life! I may have to look into it more. Thanks for that!

• Posted

How long did it take to recover from having the gland removed? I'm on my third cyst in 6 months ( on both sides!!)they just keep coming back ... Also do you mind me asking where you come from and how hard was it for your dr to agree to the full gland removal ? Xx

• Posted

Absolutely! My recovery time was about 6 weeks. I had the cyst for almost 7 yrs.and it never ruptured or gave me any trouble other than getting swollen and I would just take an ibuprofen and a warm bath and the swelling would go down. I actually didn't know how severe it was or could have been until I went to a new physician who told me he would remove it bc it was swollen and my home remedies weren't working anymore. I thought it was a cyst removal. It wasn't until after I went for my follow up did he tell me that he removed the entire gland, because a bartholian glad is pretty much useless lol! I have 0 idea where the trouble came from. But I haven't missed it at all. Sometimes a new physician can make all the difference in the world!

• Posted

Hi Dani,

Ive had a recurrent cyst for a few years now.  Thought Id cracked it and not had one since September last year.  Well low and behold Im at work.  Got that funny feeling down below and its there.  Painful as usual.  I have seen a gynae but he said they will do nothing until its the size of a golfball!!!!!  I will try anything.  Did you just slice off a piece of raw white onion and stick it up there (sorry tmi)  I want to be sure I do it right?

• Posted

Hey Sharon! With the onion, I cut it into quarters and put a thick slice directly on the abscess. Not inside my vagina--just on the outside but close to the opening. I cut slits into the onion as well so the juices would come out easier. I'm sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain. I suggest trying out a few home remedies to see what works for you. Doesn't hurt if you're willing to try anything.

• Posted

Hi everyone i'm honestly struggling with cysts around this this time every year, The past 3 years i found myself being booked for a surgical operation to remove the cyst and every single operation i had i was already in the painful stages of it and this year i've developed it again and is aching amd causing discomfort but i decided i'm not going to any hospital instead i'm opting for home remedy using raw onion slices which i'm feeling a difference in helping me and my only problems now is that my mom keeps on pushing me to buy antibiotics and honestly i'm not keen on that as i feel i took those too much and i'm over them. Am I making a mistake?

• Posted

Hi Dani - I can't believe you have had 4 marsupializations. All on one gland??

I am 9 days post marsupialization and I am worried about how this is going to heal...As of right now there is a massive hole... Did your hole go away or how did you heal??

I seriously feel like this stupid gland is literally taking over my entire life. I am depressed and anxious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.