Can you get hot flashes/nightsweats still whilst on the pill?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All...

Just a quick question..

Can you have hot flashes and nightsweats whilst taking the birth control pill ? I'm on microcynon and was put on this in the summer to control cycle and cysts etc. Is it possible to still get the symptoms whilst on the pill??

I've had a lot going on this year, appendix removal, UTI which I'm currently being treated for... the list goes on.

My doctor says the pill should be masking those hot flash symptoms etc.

I have been tested earlier last year for hormones and one was slightly raised the FBC or FBH? can't remember. They tested again and it was normal !  So i figured perhaps I'm not perimenopausal after all. Then I was put onto microcynon.

I'm planning to have another hormone test done in February at the end of a pill break week, to see how things are then.

Does anybody have any idea though ???

Thanks

Caroline

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry carnt really help on the pill but I'm on HRT and still get the sweats/ hot flushes really bad x

• Posted

Hi Caroline, electronic depending on the pill some will mask all the symptoms. I was on bcp for nightsweats, emotional crying and cysts pain. During the time I took it I was symptom free

However, before I found the right pill I tried 3 different ones including HRT and none of stopped any of my symptoms. So with said, I would go back to your doctor and ask to try a different pill.

• Posted

Caroline,

I would be curious to know if these hot flashes started when you were put on an antibiotic.  It is understood that antibiotics do reduce your estrogen.  So this could be the problem, if you were doing well with the pill before that.

If not, then as Sochima mentioned sometimes it takes trial and error to find a pill that works well for your system.  There are many different combinations, because women have different chemistries.  Possibly the pill you were given is not right for you.      

• Posted

The hot flashes do seem to be more pronounced since being on this Nitrofuratoin antibiotic actually, funny you should say that...! I keep going hot, like a wave feeling over me and also some nightsweats..not severe just wet hair and neck....

Hmm you have me thinking now.

I wonder if the antibiotic (its a high dose... 100mg 4 x per day currently....I was on 50mg before but they increased it...) could be playing havoc perhaps???

• Posted

That may very well be the problem.  It's at least something to consider.  

So at this point, finish the antibiotic to clear your infection, and then see how things go in a couple of weeks.  I bet your hot flashes will subside.  

• Posted

unfortunately I am not stopping the antibiotics, the high dose ends this Thursday and then I am on 1 x 100mg maintenance dose ongoing... eeekkk!!!

Its really a pretty crap time, I had 12 hospital admissions last year and one already this year and so it goes on.

Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated.

• Posted

Caroline,

Just the drop from the high dose of the antibiotic may show some effect. 

However, UTI's are well known to be caused by a lack of estrogen.  Kind of a catch 22 in this situation.  

Here's another thought that may not hold any water, but have you ever considered using a vaginal estrogen cream?  That would help your tissue in the urogenital area.  If you could get the UTI undercontrol, and support this area with some estrogen, who knows. Just a thought.

• Posted

Yes I tried some of that through the summer and it kind of made things worse??!  Its all a bit of a mess. I may try it again though.

i am on probiotics orally and also a vaginal one. Also cranberry tablets.

• Posted

I think that would be worth trying also, instead of having to stay on the maintenance antibx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.