Hypothyroidism and Muscle/joint pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I'm from the UK and have just had part of my thyroid taken out. I have also just had my medication raised to 75mg a day which I take in the morning an hour before I have any other fluids or food. I also have to take painkillers as I'm suffering with painful joints and Muscles, I wait two hours before I take the painkillers. Can anyone explain why I'm suffering with this please and had anyone else had the same thing?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacqui

Yes to all

cry I now take levo at night and take Vit D and have found this helps me, its a case of keep trying until you find what works for yousmile

• Posted

Hi Christine

I'm due to see my consultant tomorrow, to discuss weather the other side needs to come out or not. I will discuss things with him depending on the outcome. I have had my bloods done last week and have to say I do feel better since they put my medication up and I know it will take time but it hurts so, and trying to make your nearest and dearest understand how your feeling is very hard. All I get is the Micky taken out of me because I'm walking around like a 90 year old huffing and puffing all the time. It's really hard this time last year I was running and riding my bike

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

Good luck for tomorrow,  I had mine removed three years ago and am still trying to get the medication to the correct level but it seems every day another symptom appears.  Some days I feel so down and crabby I wish I hadn't got the op but no going back unless transplants become an option.  So discuss all your options and pick one that is right for you.

TTFN xx

• Posted

I take 75 mg levo in a morning and been on it since last year im also taking citrilopram 10 mg for anxiety i get restless legs bad at night and now another worry my periods all over the place im 45 and at my wits end
  • Posted

I take 75 mg levo in a morning and been on it since last year im also taking citrilopram 10 mg for anxiety i get restless legs bad at night and now another worry my periods all over the place im 45 and at my wits end
    • Posted

Hi Tammy, low progesterone often happens with hypothyroidism. And results in excessive bleeding, spotting, even missed periods. I had this happen to me in my twenties, and later looked back at my bloodwork to see that it accompanied hypothyroidism. 

I was was able to eventually get thy hypothyroidism into remission, but after two decades, the hypothyroidism recurred, and docs kept sending me to gyno. I remembered the time when I'd had my stinky cycles in my twenties and realized it want peri menopause, but thyroid disease rearing its ugly head again.

Try a book that does self diagnosis and herbs for hormones. I know no woman wants to buy a hormone book, but it really helped get things back on track after every time the thyroid goes wacky. 

• Posted

Hi Jacqui 853111,

Many times a person can get joint and muscle pain when the thyroid dose or the right thyroid drug for you is not the correct one for you. You may have to take some time and work with a good doctor who listens to you about your symptoms until it's all figured out for you.

I personally also suffer with Fibromyalgia and it's hard for me to distiguish between which one is causing the most misery....the thyroid drug or dosage or the Fibro kicking my butt. 

Just hang in ther Jacqui. Don't ignore things or give up.  We all are trying to educate ourselves as well as the doctors we see as it feels we have to educate them also. Just make sure you have a doctor who listens to what you have to say, more than what the test results show.  I personally think they have not had the proper education to help us and that's why you have to be a good fit with the doctor you see. Wish you the best and hope this has been some encouragement for you.

• Posted

Me too. My doctor added T3 to my NDT medication and the musclemapasms atoppes for the most part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.