What is it like being employed with bipolar disorder?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since I don’t have bipolar disorder, I’m wondering what it’s like being employed with the condition and if it is difficult to sustain a job. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with being hired and if so, how have others treated you during your working hours? Or maybe you haven’t disclosed your mental illness for certain reasons? I apologise if I've asked a lot of questions... redface I just want to understand from someone else’s viewpoint. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi my partner has bi polar & is self employed, he buys & sells cars which keeps him very busy & active but sometimes gets too much & needs to just rest for a few days as he's easily stressed .

He did have a full time job recently but was very stressful & in all honesty a little too much as working with others is quite a challenge when u Hav a mental illness.

Depending on your lifestyle I think part time work is manageable

• Posted

Thank you ever so much for your reply. I hope you are both managing things well.

• Posted

Ive struggled with bipolar since i was 18 im not 33. I didnt find a combination of meds that work for me until about 8 years ago. I was a stay at home mom intil about 4 years ago. Ive been thrugh a few jobs that just stressed me to the point that i had to quit. It just wasnt worth the stress. Ive now had my full time job for a year and still love my job.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope things are still going well for you and you are doing great.

• Posted

Hi

I have bi polar and work full-time. My work colleagues are great with me and I feel really lucky. I am on antipsychotics, lithium and citralopram to combat the condition. I have been hospitalized several time for psychosis, but am on aripiprazole to stop the voices etc. I feel really lucky to have such great support at work and at home.

Lou x

• Posted

That's great feedback Louise & really encourageing ! Well done & best wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope the support is still continued today.

• Posted

That is really good that your work colleagues are understanding. Many people don’t even believe that there is something like this.

• Posted

My bipolar biggest trait seems to be impulsivity which has affected me greatly in employment.

I tend to blurt things out...sometimes inappropriate things that I am thinking during meetings....or sometimes things that I just feel so strongly about that I know are controversial to say but I say them anyway.

I have been pulled aside throughout my career by loving co workers and Superiors and told that maybe I should write down my thoughts before blurting them out and try to think thru what could occur if I say what I want to say.

This trait has led me to unemployment...by choice because it was causing me so much stress to have to watch my moods or what I said...that I left my job of 19 years....and now collect disability from the government. For Anxiety disorders...I was not diagnosed with Bipolar at the time of my government approval.

So I'm sure when the government reviews my claim in the 3 year period and see that I have been diagnosed with Bipolar it will just add to support the fact that I struggle in the workplace to the extent that I just can not handle it.

• Posted

Thank you ever so much for your reply. I hope you are doing well now and managing in a healthy way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.