Cfs/anaesthesia effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had eye surgery Friday 13th and since then am feeling terribly nauseous and very weak and dizzy and vey tearful. Is this a reaction to the anaesthesia. I've read that cfs sufferers can have a depletion in magnesium and potassium and so symptoms can flare up. Apparently, a different anaesthesia should be used with people with CFS. Should I start taking a supplement like Diarolyte? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Could be or the post op meds. I too had a general on Friday 13th and its only today that I am starting to not feel so tired but have found before that it takes me at least a week to shrug off the effects of the general. I also had to take quite powerful meds and they send me to sleep too. 

If anything I would take an energy bar like the cyclists use. Have you discussed it with the hospital, maybe you should 

• Posted

I tried to discuss with the hospital with no luck. I have an appt with GP Thursday. I have had an electrolyte sachet and do feel a little better. I will try an anergy bar too. The anaesthetic was my 13th and on the 13th Jan too but have never felt this bad. Thanks for your input
  • Posted

I don't know what Diarolyte is, so I can't offer any help there.  However, I can say that I, too, have trouble wit anaesthesias.  Is it possible that they used Lorazepam (Ativan is the other name)?  That can cause some depression and dizziness in some people.

I had to have my heart shocked (stopped) and restarted to regulate rhythm several years ago.  The medication they gave me did absolutely no good as far as the pain was concerned.  However, I couldn't move and I couldn't talk and they had pumped me full of whatever they were using.  Now I know that I should have had an anesthesiologist present instead of a nurse, and I should have been put completely under instead of whatever they did.  I have a hunch they used ativan, but I don't know for sure.  My point is, that yes--CFS can, I am sure, cause strange reations to medications.  Unfortunately, the majority of people in the medical profession don't realize this. At least that's what I think based on 20 +  years of experience.

• Posted

Hi, Dioralyte is a powder mixed with water that is usually taken after a bad case of vomiting and diarrhoea and replaces electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium that are lost. Apparently some people with CFS react to anaesthesia and the histamine part and causes these salts to be very depleted. It seems anaesthesiologists should alter the meds for CFS sufferers. Thank you
    • Posted

You're very welcome. I drank 2 Diarolyte last night and feel a heck of a lot better today. Fingers crossed this will last.

• Posted

I haven't heard of that but I get diarrhoea often so I think I'll look into it. Thanks for explaining it.

• Posted

Since you only had the surgery on Friday, I wouln't be too worried about not feeling well, yet. In my experience, the effects of anaesthesia take at least a week to wear off and in people with CFS, it takes a longer time to recover from everything including a common cold. Also, you could be experiencing nausea from pain pills, if you are still taking them and may be tearing up becasue of the surgery to your eye.

That being said, I would call your surgeon/doctor and check to make sure that the tearing and nausea are normal. Hope you feel better soon! KPD

• Posted

Hi KPD, I do feel a bit better; still a little nauseous. I went out for the first time yesterday to do a little food shopping and felt dreadful, sweating a lot and feeling dizzy. I'm seeing the GP today and hope she will enlighten me. I guess I'm feeling quite down and crying as it's difficult to cope with a massive flare up on top of what we have to cope with daily and feel useless and pathetic. So want to feel vibrant again! Hey ho, will keep trying. Thank you. X

• Posted

Hi Pilsbury, I'm so sorry to hear that you are still feeling terrible. Just know that you are not alone. I've had flare-ups so many times, and each time a flare-up occurs, I think that it is worse than the last one and that it is never going to pass.

Try to remember that you have just gone through major surgery, and it may take awhile before you feel better. The fact that you got out today and went shopping in spite of feeling dreadful is a great accomplishment. Take one step and one day at a time. Good luck with the doctor and keep me posted. KPD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.