I want to know when the swelling goes down

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, i am 49 and had my left hip replaced 6 days ago. I also had a bone graph on my pelvis as it was nearly eroded away!

I am at home but my leg swells up like the Incredible Hulk in the evening. I am in a lot of pain especially at night and find it so hard to sleep on my back! I am only 8.5 stone so weight is not an issue and I am a fit person who is doing all the recommended exercises after surgery! Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ice your leg and hip several times a day.  I am 27 days post op and I still ice but I'm doing well.  Back to work and walking without assistants

• Posted

Hi john56733,

Thank you so much for you reply! I will try the ice and see how that goes but it gives me hope that after 27 days you are walking without assistance! That's brilliant

Thanks

• Posted

Stargate fan, here IS light at the end of the wormhole! Swelling is normal after THR, and is often worse towards the end of the day after you have been up during the day. The remedy for most people involves rest, elevation of your surgical leg and plenty of icing. If you are in a lot of pain, you might be undermedicated. Are you taking your pain meds as prescribed, the full dose and around the clock? If you are, then maybe you need to be prescribed more. The first few weeks are the worst and hopefully you will be feeling a bit better every day.

I, too, had a very difficult time sleeping on my back, due in part to sleep apnea. So I slept propped up with pillows at an incline. I'm sorry to say that for the first 6 weeks (until I was allowed to sleep on my side) I only slept a total of about 5 hours per day, in 1 1/2 hour chunks. I slept whenever I could, and wasn't able to be asleep very long at a time. The sleep gets better in time.

Since you had a bone graft in addition to the THR, you might take a little longer to recover. Everyone recovers at a different rate, anyway, some slow (like me) and others fast.

• Posted

Hi AnnieK

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I am taking the medication but got prescribed stronger ones today so hopefully this will help! I will try the ice and elevation and see if this helps and at least I know it has to get better! It can't get any worse! Or I will go through a wormhole!!!! Hope you are back to normal now and many thanks!

• Posted

I'm hanging in there. I had to use walking aids for 15 months before my second hip surgery, and some of my gluteal muscles are badly atrophied. I am getting the strength back and hope to be walking unaided soon (12 weeks post-op).

Glad you are getting some more meds and hope they help! Be sure to rest with your feet up as much as possible. You don't need to be doing a lot of walking around yet, as there is still so much healing to be done. Strengthening can come later!

• Posted

Hi AnnieK,

I actually think that's what's wrong with me is that I am up and moving too much so I have sat down today and actually took a nap so hopefully this will help. And you have definitely had a run of it! Hope you are up and walking unaided soon and all we can do is look on the bright side!!!

Lots of books and tv and just plain old rest!!! Best of luck

• Posted

Right, sit or lie down with feet up most of the time. Swelling should go down eventually!
  • Posted

Hi, it's very early days for you, and because you also had a bone graft you may have a slightly longer recovery. I'm really glad you've increased your meds, becsuse being in a lot of pain is not helping you.

I'm a similar weight, and apart from the hip I was fit. I had a big swollen leg, particularly in the evenings, and that's perfectly normal. As the others have said, use ice or a cold pack, and put your legs up. I think for most hippies the nights are pretty rubbish. I was very uncomfortable on my back, but it will get better gradually, good luck.

• Posted

Hi judith12644

Thank u so much for your reply! I am more happy now as each one has said feet up and ice pack so that's what I am doing!

And the extra meds will probably help so I will persevere and keep up hope👍

Many thanks

• Posted

6 days is absolutely nothing, as for the swelling you need to ice and elevate above your heart, are you spending too long on your feet or maybe sitting with your feet on the floor, not a good position for any length of time in one go.

Also plenty of fluids and are you still using your pain meds enough

Just remember 6 days is not long enough to be in a good painless situation

• Posted

Hi AlexandriaGizmo

thank you for your comment! I know 6 days is not expected to be pain free but people were all telling me about how little pain there was after the op and that's do not true! I didn't realise how much pain there would be and i also experienced muscle spasms for 2 nights in the hospital which were not nice! I know now I was over doing it and out walking and sitting with my feet down!

I am learning to listen to my body and take the stronger meds which tonite have helped! Leg still looks like Incredible Hulk but dear god the ice pack is great!!

I will keep in touch on this forum and everyone has been so helpful

Thank you

• Posted

I assume those people who told you that hip replacement doesn't cause much pain must have been some of the very lucky few who experienced that. If they haven't had THR, then they don't know what they are talking about. Have you watched a video of the surgery on YouTube? It's not for the faint of heart. Bones are cut off and reamed out. soft tissue has been mightily stretched and sometimes dissected, layers of connective tissue and skin have been stitched up, and on and on. How can that not be very painful? For me it was, anyway. 

• Posted

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel (or Stargate). Could take perhaps up to 6 weeks. I R.E.M. bet the most swelling the 2nd and 3rd week. It will come down. Elevate and Ice, but do your exercises and walk. Relax
    • Posted

Hi steve86482

Thank you for your comment!

Feeling better today and it will get better!

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.