HSP - How long before the joint pain goes away ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My 11 yr old daughter was diagnosed with HSP around 6 weeks ago.  She had rash on her legs and elbows, vomitting, diarrhea, kidney infection (protein in urine), abdomen pain and join pain. This is her second recurrence as she got HSP once when she was 3 yrs old (though it went away at that time in 3-4 weeks and there was no kidney infection).

My daughter is now on a strict diet of fruits/vegetables and has cut out  diary, gluten, sugar, sodium from her diet. She has also started acupuncture. I tried fish oil but stopped it as the fish oil tablets caused diarrhea.  She has not taken any steroids yet. 

Currently the HSP seems to be in relapse as all her symptoms are gone except for joint pain in her ankles. She has missed her school for over a month now and we are hoping to send her back to school as soon as her joint pain eases. 

I wanted to check whether anyone else has had a similar experience where the joint pain was the last symptom to go away. Was there anything you did to relieve the pain or to make it go away quicker ? Does the joint pain cause any long term issues?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

my daughters went away about 4-5 week's of having hsp, it's two years on and she is still under the hospital after getting all the complications which apparently are rare in girl's so hopefully your daughter will be better soon x

• Posted

Hi, My son had it when he was 5 years old and once we put him on steroids (Prednisone) he really started to feel better; he had to take the steroids for a couple of months or maybe 3 months and then had his urine checked regularly to make sure there weren't any kidney complications. We went to a pediatric rheumatologist, because other doctors were not very familliar with HSP - the rheumatologist had treated tons of cases and it was reassuring to know she was so knowledgeable about this illness. Sending lots of good thoughts - I know I was hysterical when my son had it. Hang in there and if you have other questions please feel free to ask! Jeanna

• Posted

My daughter is 5 and was just currently diagnosed with hsp. Can you recall how long the rash lasted with your child. We are on day 7 and it's relentless. I'm wanting to talk to someone that has had experience here. Thanks in advance

• Posted

Hey. My sin was just diagnosed with HSP a week ago. We was just released from the hospital last Saturday. As you all have stated this is a very uncommon disease and I have so many questions. Is it best to use steroids??? Right now they just have my son on meds for vomiting and for pain but no steroids. It has not affected his kidneys but he has the stomach and joint pains do bad sometimes he can not walk. This is so new and troubling to me any info will help
    • Posted

I know you are in the midst of a nightmare. ..... but know there is hope!! My daughter had HSP for 4 months to the day. We never did steroids as there is no real proof that they cure it. Lots of success stories with them but just as many without. Each child is different. My daughter had a terrible case.... as far as rash, joint pain, swelling .... but very little kidney involvement . Know that you are NOT alone. Please email me any time. littletonk@hcss. org
  • Posted

HSP is supposed to be self-limiting in a duration that is very highly variable and

multi-factorial. This is the second recurrence, so it will take a longer than first time

(3-4 weeks). I is much higher for Adults and those who have renal involvement. 

Hydroxychloroquine (anti-malarial drug) is said to help with pain. 

• Posted

Hi arnie66,

My son is 3yrs old and currently on his 3rd week of HSP. He has been so amazingly lucky to not have his kidneys affected and his joint pain was gone within 11-12days. His skin is looking almost back to normal and he has no swelling but he gets tired easily and has to rest. I know they say that the older they are,the worst the symptoms are and longer the duration. Of course that doesn't help one bit. My son as well has been on a more restrictive diet since this happened. I'm pretty strict with anything processed, artificial ingredients and sugar. He is currently at home, I pulled him from school and we've decided not to send him back until March because we feel like his immune system is still healing. I make sure he eats throughout the day...fruits, eggs, meat, mostly chicken all natural antibiotic free and pasture raised. I blend fresh green and fruit juice as well. The most important part "I think" that works well for him is the vitamins. I give Vitamin C spray, cod liver oil and probiotics powder. I also sprinkle Tumeric powder and Spirulina powder in his yogurt. Tumeric helps with inflammation, so I figure it can only help with the swelling and the spirulina helps with absolutely everything. I also cook with lots of fresh herbs, garlic and onion. Since this is an immune system disease, I feel that the more nutrients I put into his body the stronger it gets and able to fight and recover quicker. I know that you mentioned the cod liver oil gives her diareah, maybe you can try a different brand? Or give flax, chia, wild salmon? Only because I read that omega helps with HSP...something to consider.

I'm really qurious to know if you have any idea what so ever as to what may have triggered the HSP for the 2nd time?

I truly wish your daughter a speedy and healthy recovery. Stay positive and strong for her and keep nourishing her body and don't get discouraged. Xoxo <3

• Posted

Hi Salina,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the Vitamin C and the foods you mentioned. I have been trying to get her Omega 3 with berries (blueberries/strawberries etc).  I'm also planning to start some probiotics and L-glutamine soon.

I'm not sure what caused the second trigger. Maybe it was the stomach flu she got just before the HSP. She also was having a bit of processed food earlier which might have weakened her immune system. Anyway I've been taking her for acupuncture sessions and they have been helping a lot with the joint pains. Hope your son gets better soon ! 

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions to this thread. I wanted to provide an update on my daughter's joint pain. My daughter had a lot of joint pain on her knees and ankles last week but she feels much better now after 3 acupuncture sessions. We are now waiting to see whether this will last or whether the pain & HSP symptoms will come back in the next few days.

• Posted

Great to know that acupuncture helps. Please update us with the results. 
  • Posted

The joint and abdo pain are fluctuating symptoms that come and go.  We treat her with probiotics and rosehip (anti-inflammatory).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.