High PSA score....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I recently had a PSA score of 35. They want me to retest in 2 weeks just incase it was a fluke. I have had a cystoscopy and 3 Folly catheters prior to the last PSA test so wondering if I got an infection. I don't have any symptoms of an infection but I know an infection can raise the PSA score. I'm just wondering how much could an infection make the score increase. Any thoughts...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello.  Never heard of a PSA that High.  Maybe it's a infection from the catheters  Ken

• Posted

PSA scores can go into the hundreds.

Your best bet is to go along with the doctors tracking your various levels. It can take some months or even years to plot the progress of a slow-growing cancer. PSA doesn't tell you what's wrong, only that something is amiss. Other tests are needed to determine the actual cause. Good luck.

• Posted

Mine from a little 22cc prostate was 16.92.  4 days later it was 9.77.  Biopsy was clear, just showing chronic inflammation = likely prostatitis.  I had 60% of it removed (there were longer-standing milder LUTS issues before the sudden rather extreme LUTS that led me at age 49 to get it tested for the first time = 16.92; I had been peeing 3 times a night for years, slowish flow rate, but the extreme phase briefly saw me peeing 8 to 12 times a night and always feeling like I needed to pee more).  So I had 60% of it removed, tested the removed bits as no cancer, after which all LUTS issues gone and PSA 2 months after the operation from the remaining 10cc of prostate tissue was 0.66, tested again 2 months on still 0.66, not bothering to test again for a couple of years (I am 50).  If it was high again I would be a lot more relaxed from last time, it so often isn't cancer.  Bear in mind if it is cancer, that's the "best" cancer you can get - cure rate 95%.  All other cancers have worse cure rates. 

I have heard of PSAs of 50 from prostatitis alone. I do think 35 is high enough you shouldn't neglect it.  If you are older than me and your prostate is even just a modest 44cc, which it easily could be, = twice the size of what mine was before my op, then your 35 = SAME as my 16.92, in terms of PSA level per cc of prostate tissue that I had then (and that you now have).

• Posted

At your age and the small size of your prostate don't you think you rushed in having most of it removed just because it may be prostatitis and you did not have cancer.  There would be no way my doctor would talk me into it.  What kind of surgery did you have and do you have any side effects.  Also I know it worked but what if it didn't  Ken 

• Posted

A cystoscopy and 3 Foley catheters can raise your PSA.

Neal

• Posted

The cystoscopy and Foleys were over 3 months ago so probably they in themselves are not the problem but getting an infection from them is a possibility. I think some infections can exist without any symptoms. Does anyone here know if I should just have the urine tested for infection or any blood tests done too?
    • Posted

I would talk to the doctor and have the test done to make sure your ok or not  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.