Pre-emptive Pilonidal surgery worth it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I had three flare-ups within a year of a pilonidal cyst, but each time it came and went within a few days, and disappated on it's own.  I haven't had an issue now in a year, but while having a check-up at the GP, I asked for her to check what it might have been and as my brother had the same issue, she confirmed it was the cyst.

I was recommended to go on the wait list for surgery and I have now got my date, 3 weeks from now.

My concern is... it has not caused me bother in a while, and although the doctor said it was probbably going to occer again, is there any benefit in having the surgery while no infection is present? Is the recovery time likely to be decreased if the incision is just to remove the follicle?? Is that what they even do?

I know that an infected sinus will make surgery more difficult but from what I have read here, there is a chance of it reoccurring even with surgery so I wonder is it worth it going under the knife when its not acting up right now.

I am in full-time employment but I think I will only get a week paid sick leave, and the thought of trying to sit at my desk on a doughnut cushion in an open plan office fills me with dread.

Any advice?  I am going to speak to the doctor again this week I think.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If it's managable I'd hold off on it for a while... I've had 3 operations on it and now I'm on a waiting list for my fourth. To be honest the longer I have to wait the better more surgery fills me with dread. My situation is a little bit different I cycle everyday which just irritates it (sorter self inflicted) if theres no pain or discomfort I would ask your doctor if there is anything else they can try.

• Posted

Thanks Jason, that seems to be the general gist, I also cycle every day... its a bloody curse...
  • Posted

Hi. If it isn't infected...they try by simply using medicines like anti biotics. If it doesn't help and it comes back again and again or stays as it is.. Doesn't go I mean. Then only option left is surgery. As you rightly heard...in pilonidal sinus changes of re occurrence is high but again it depends on which method is used to take it out. Generally after incision.. open wound healing is considered the safest as chances of reoccurence is lowest. But this method takes time. The longer you will wait or postpone it will become big. The bigger it grows the more the area of incision will be.. And the more the area of incision the longer will be the healing time.

• Posted

That's true the longer it's left the deeper it can get. I work as a Health care Worker and I've seen how some can get. What we see on the outside is nothing compared to what's happening inside. For example mine has been leaking now for 6 months but my doctor says it's nothing to worry about. Antibiotics have no effect on me for some reason

• Posted

Thanks.  If I have no infection or cyst at the time of surgery, how is the operation performed? I am going through the NHS so I imagine they won't do it unless it is necessary. 

I just am unsure on if having the follicle that causes the cysts removed while there is no pain or 'blistering' will mean a simpler surgery, or will they still be cutting the same amount out?

Sorry, it doesn't help that this is also my first surgery ever and I am very confused about it!

• Posted

The follicle cannot be found by anyone. The area can be marked only when infection happens. Better.. consult a surgeon.
    • Posted

That's a bit strange... did they mention anything about a sinus? A small hole that would look like a spot?

• Posted

I was in your same situation. My cyst would flare up and drain on and off for about a year, although it didnt bother me very much. I had a friend in college who waited years to get his cyst checked out and it ended up getting infected. he had an open wound surgery and they took out a cyst almost the size of a baseball!. it took months for him to heal

Knowing this, I decided to be proactive and see a surgeon. He explained to me that mine wasnt infected, but it should be removed if i didnt want it to get any worse. He said because it was not infected he could stitch it closed and remove the stitches in 2 weeks. I was also concerned with missing work(I work construction). He said i could go back to work in a week, as long as i took it easy and didnt squat down or bend over too much.

Surgery took about 45 minutes. After surgery i was surprised  he said my wound was 3inches long and 2 inches deep. i think i have like 35 stitches. The first 3 days really suck, all you can do is lay on your belly or stand 24 hours a day. Also take the pain meds they give you, they help.

its now been 5 days since surgery and i am walking with almost no pain and even can sit for 30 minutes or less without to much discomfort. overall i am happy with how quickly i seem to be healing.

I would recommend to just get the procedure done and move on with your life. If your isnt infected like you say, im confident you can be back to work after a week and feel really good at 2 weeks. Hope this helps and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.