I have a blocked ear and a perforated eardrum

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a hole in my ear since I was 6 (result of grommet). I had tons of ear infections 5/6 years ago and after another grommet I got diagnosed with a perforated eardrum. I'm currently on the waiting list for an operation (so still under ENT at hospital).

For the past few weeks my ear has been blocked, and then for the past few days I've noticed my hearing has been getting worse with only little pain. I don't have a cold or anything. I'm wondering if it's another ear infection but all the ones I had before I never had hearing loss.

My next appointment isn't till April so I'm not sure what to do. It's been frustrating all day because I can't stop noticing it, even though I can still hear a fair amount.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Definitely contact your ENT - it sounds like you need antibiotics and possibly suctioning of debris and ear drops.
    • Posted

Will try to, been a little better but still the random stabbing pain. May not be able to with how the NHS is atm (plus they never have any free appointments sooner than a few months)
  • Posted

Hi,like yourself I have always had ear problems but never did have grommets in.  Sounds like they're best left alone?  However I visited the treatment room of our local surgery and when the nurse looked in my ear she said she couldn't see my ear drum because of wax.  Bit of surprise, so I am now putting in olive oil drop to soften this before removing. Needless to say my ears have been feeling blocked for long time.  So glad I had them checked as I thought it was the usual middle ear prob.

• Posted

Yeah time before last they said I had lots of wax. Last time I only had a little. But gosh was it paniful. Tears but had managed to hold back the whimpers. It confused the heck out of them as to why it hurt so much XD

Ive left them alone so far. Apparently olive oil is bad for perforated eardrums without permission from doctor, so haven't tried that (also did try it before but it caused more damage than anything else)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.