Constipation getting worse

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have suffered from constipation for about 16 years. It gradually got worse and after a series of tests it was found that I had an internal rectal prolapse and a couple of other problems. It was recommended that I have a Laporocopic Ventral Rectopexy. I was very pleased as I thought this was the answer to my constipation problem. I had to wait a long time to have the operation, so decided to have it done privately, which I now realise was the wrong decision.  The first year after the op I had a few problems, but things were working and that was great. The second year was even better and I thought I had seen the end of constipation. Unfortunately after just over 2 years my constipation return and now 18 months later it is worse than ever. The original place where I had the op doesn't do it anymore. I have seen another gastroenterologist and he can't offer anymore options. I have tried everything and nothings seems satisfactory. Has anyone had similar probems or does anyone have any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi lrajane

I have had the same surgery in 2014 after suffering constipation all my life, after having this operation i thought my troubles would be over but sadly not. I have tried everything possible that i know of to have consistant bowel movements but have come to my own conclusion that once your bowel has had surgery it must affect the muscles within the bowel thus making it less likely to work as it should do, i live in hope that something out there may make my life with my bowel less obsessive. sorry thats not much help to you i know but the consultant surgeons must know this and do not let you know that constipation could get worse.

• Posted

Hi fiona9688

A am sorry to hear you have also had problems after having a Laporoscopic Ventral Rectopexy. Can I ask did yours improve your constipation at all? Mine was good for 2 years, I only took one sachet of laxido a day and it worked well. Then suddenly as if a switch had been flicked I had constipation back and it has continued getting worse. I cannot understand why in my case it worked well for 2 years.

The only thing the gastroenterologist has offered me is Resolor, which I have not taken yet. It is a stimulant laxitive so even if it works will eventually make things worse. I have read other peoples experiences of Resolor and most say it only works for a matter of weeks if at all.

• Posted

Hi lrajane

Its really strange but i was ok for about a year and a half, im wondering all sorts at the moment, i think maybe as well that another prolapse has happend as i have had so many operations over a period of around nine years, all started with a hysterectomy after childbirth, then in my early 50s 

all prolapses began, i had posterior repair a viginal vault repair and on Feb 3rd having keyhole bladder repair [ sacrocolpopexy ]. I have tried everything from senna tea lactulose prune juice chia seads, most things as natural as possible, think my problem could also be a slow transit which dose not help, im also very active and like to take care of myself, very frustating really. I know that this is more common after reading so many forums, have you been searching like crazy to get answers, sadly its becoming an obsesion.

• Posted

I have been serching for an answer and have not really found one. The gastroenterologist I have seen a couple of times said he would never have recommended the operation, but the doctors I saw at the time did recommend it and I thought it was the answer to my prayers.  All he said is I think about it too much. Which is easy to say if you don't suffer from severe constipation.  I seem to spend my time calculating how much of this to take and how much of that to take. We are supposed to be going on holiday in a couple of months and instead of looking forward to it, I am dreading it.

• Posted

Hi, Some doctors definitely don't understand, one once said to me after a consultation, Oh we'll we all have our crosses to bear, and my gp told me that my condition was rare, haha think she needs to go on a forum and see for herself that it isn't. Maybe when you go on holiday you may relax and forget your worries for a bit, take a emergency supply of laxatives with you just in case, that's what I do.

• Posted

Hi, I used to take an emergency supply of laxatives on holiday, but now I am no sure that I can. While the operation was working I took one sachet on Laxido a day, when the constipation returned I had to gradually increase the dose. I am now taking three sachets of Laxido a day plus other things and it doesn't seem to be working. Probably shouldn't have started. but the doctors remommende it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.