Aortic Aneurysm, anti-coagulants and statins

Posted , 2 users are following.

What advice have members had about taking anti coagulants and statins when they have an aortic aneurysm? When mine was first discovered in 2004 at 3.1cm It was suggested that I should take a statin. I didn't at the time but did for two spells in 2011 and 2012 before and after having my aortic valve replaced. They caused muscle pain each time so I stopped them.

I went into AF after the procedure and was prescribed warfarin. I took it for three months prior to a cardioversion and for six months after stopping because of joint pain. In AF again in 2014 I had to take it again until the next cardioversion. Again I had joint pains and later stopped it.

During the ten years my aneurysm had slowly gone from 3.1 to 3.4 cm.

I started warfarin again in February 2016 as it was suggested that I should have an ablation. I also wanted to get either an Amplatzer Amulet or a Watchman Device fitted to close my left atrial appendage where clots form. My next scan in August showed my aneurysm to be 3.6 and another on Monday surprisingly (to me) put it at 4.0cm. It naturally puts the thought in my head that warfarin has certainly not helped my aneurysm. It takes quite a high dosage of 8mg to keep my INR in range.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dont know if this helps, I dont know the size of my AAA, but I am on statins and aspirin each day

I dont know if they are doing me any good, but they dont seem to be doing me any harm

I take iron tablets, fish oil things, Vit C and general vitamins, I dont know that I really need them though, I'll finish them off and not buy any more, I reckon I get all my vitamis from the food I eat (fresh or frozen) no fast food, if I have any fast food, its a subway, after the gym, but thats once a week  lol

• Posted

Why do you not know its size? I was told the size of mine at the first scan. Actually the scan was on my gall bladder. He said that my gall bladder was OK but that I had a lot of cysts on my liver and a small aortic aneurysm.

After that when going to get it scanned they would say,'Here comes the man with the small one'

I now also have two harmless cysts on my right kidney one of which has also grown a lot in the past two years.. 

• Posted

At the time, I just thought it was a routine thing, so I never really paid much attention

Anyway I got told not to worry and they would give me another scan this year

I did a bit of research when I came back from my travels

I got another scan and various appointments, so I'l find out then, I guess

My next scan is May this year

• Posted

There is a national screening progranmme in the UK for over 60 males.I have a back problem and went to an osteopath with my CT scan and its report. She read about the aneurysm and said that she would not treat me in case she burst it!

I went to another osteopath who contacted the consultant and he said it was OK to have the treatment. 

Travelling presents a problem when you mention the aneurysm for travel insurance. No matter how small it is it scares them. Most will not insure you. One company wated £2K for a month in America or £1K for a month in Cuba.

I then used a company who let me exclude it from the insurance cover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.