Can hot feet at night be caused by Atorvastatin?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a relatively fit, slightly overweight 60 yr old who has had little contact with doctors until recently when I had to start treatment for depression and anxiety.  I also have raised cholesterol which after 6 months of trying with diet and Benecol alone, three weeks ago I was started on Atorvastatin 20mg. I know there are several side effects so I wondered when these started. 

For the last few nights, my feet have been really hot at night which has stopped me sleeping. They don't feel hot to the touch and look normal. I wondered if anyone else has had this as a side effect. I've been reading at the possible causes and they don't really apply to me - I eat a very healthy diet , I'm not diabetic and I don't smoke. I wondered as it is quite sudden onset if this could be due to the statins? Thank you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sally, I was on several different statins for a number of years and I can tell you that even after I stopped taking them,the soles of my feet felt as if they were on fire...not so bad now...I have been off statins for a number of years...but I think the effects linger on
    • Posted

Thanks so much Lisa for your reply! Did the hot feet start fairly soon after starting the statins?

I slept last night with my feet on the ice pack my husband uses for his bad back, like a 'cold water bottle' which seemed to help.

• Posted

Hi Sally..no the hot feet didn't start right away...in fact it didn't dawn on me that it was the statins till later...I had to sleep with my feet hanging out the bed...sometimes I put them on the wall because it was cool...strange thing was..it only started at night....when I was relaxing

• Posted

Hello Lisa and Lee,thanks for your replies. It feels as if I have hot wax on the soles of my feet, Lisa, what you describe is exactly me! It starts around 10pm and subsides by 5 am but I'm still aware of my feet until I get up. I sleep with my legs hanging out and as my bed is near French windows(I live in a bungalow) so I've been pulling the curtains back and putting my feet on the glass! Feeling reassured by your replies but not sure if I can stand it forever.  My risk of heart attack is 5% so will have to weigh up the risks.

I really appreciate you taking time to reply!

• Posted

Sally you say that you're not diabetic....statins can raise the blood sugar level...so keep an eye on that ,I wasn't diabetic when I started taking them...after 5 years I was type 2....after I stopped the statins my blood sugar is normal readings

• Posted

Agree with this,my husband is now diabetic hes ben on statins 10 years and from reading there is a correlation. If your risk is only 5 percent,why does he have you on a statin? We must have a 5 percent risk for any disease,so what then,take a pill for them all?
    • Posted

I totally agree Lee...5% risk means 95% no risk...
    • Posted

Funnily enough I bought a blood sugar testing kit today to use tomorrow morning. Although my blood sugar was fine when I was at the hospital Lipid Clinic in November, I just wanted to check as having trawled the internet(as you do!) it said diabetes was the commonest cause of hot feet. So at least I can rule that out - or not- at this stage.
    • Posted

I agree about the risk the GP referred me to the Lipid clinic at the hospital for their opinion as I was borderline but they decided I should go on it and wrote to the GP.  He didn't start me on them straight away as I was having terrible side effects from the first antidepressant he gave me and wanted those to settle before I started assaulting my digestive system with something else!! I have a review in April  so will give it til then.

They say when you hit 60 it's hello to the hospital years- never had any treatment apart from antibiotics for anything up til this year and everything I've had has upset one system or another

Once again, I really appreciate your replies :-)

• Posted

They cant decide what you should go on,its your body not theirs. You hire them. Read patient reviews on statins,that might help you decide. Remember, its your body! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Sally,when you say hot,do you mean a burning feeling,if so,Id say yes. Also pins and needles and numbness can be a side affect. My husband had burning feeling,years later he has numb feet. I had burning and like i was walking on cactus at times. I quit,he didnt. He had a heart attack,so we didnt know if he should quit or not,i chose to,and my feet are fine now.
  • Posted

Hi again,really watch for worse symptoms,in my case i didnt have an issue for over a year,then the symptoms piled on. I worry about my husband,hes in sales. His first complaint was of burning. Cant imagine not feeling your feet but walking. The doctor confirmed he now has peripheral neuropathy and if you look up statins,this can be a caus.
  • Posted

I think that Atorvastatin will increase your depresion.

I had them prescribed for me and started having true nightmares, plus other side effects.

I have stoped statins and will never take them again.

I did not experience hot fet though.

• Posted

Thank you, lots to think about from all of you
  • Posted

Hi Sally,

i am in similar position to you, though medication starts next week providing liver function test is ok. I too am 60 and have been very fortunate with health but now I have very high cholesterol (8.4) and GP says it's too high a risk not to take statins. From everything I have read though, every sensible part of me is resisting. I am more afraid of taking these chemicals than I am of the physical risks. What can you do though? You take the advice from the experts and hope for the best. How are your poor feet by the way?

• Posted

Hello Elly and thanks for your reply.  My feet are a lot better now and most nights I don't have the problem. It's the fact that since I hit 60 I have become medicalised after not needing medical intervention most of my life-as my friend said on my 60th 'welcome to the hospital years'! I have a liver function test soon to see if there has been any bad effect on my liver and after reading everything on here, I'll then consider whether to keep taking them for the low risk that I have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.