High iron & ferritin blood levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am confused! What is the difference between iron level & ferritin levels in blood? My husband's iron is 300 & his ferritin is 1,400.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Susie. To be honest, i thought they were the same thing. Medical Term for ''Iron'' is the Ferritin.

• Posted

I thought the same as you. But apparently they are different. Our doc ordered another iron and another ferritin blood test. I still don't don't get it all. Iron is 300, ferritin 1,400. 2 copies of Hemochromotosis (sp?) Liver tests are all normal, so doc says no phebotomy needed. I see everyone on here is getting phebotomies though.

• Posted

Ferritin is a protein, it is iron that's been processed and stored. They are independent of each other. Most people have a hormone that regulates the levels of iron as bound iron and ferritin. Bound iron is what the body takes up first, with ferritin being a backup supply of iron.Those with HH don't regulate the upper limits of iron, so it keeps storing ferritin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.