reverse stoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondering if anyone has had a reversal from diverticulitis. I have a stoma bag and am able to get a reversal but have heard it sometimes is worse than the colostomy bag. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks Mary

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary

interested to hear answers to your question, as I go in for my colonectomy 24th Feb have been told I will have a temporary stoma, though not sure how temporarysad

OK about the colonectomy, but not looking forward to the stoma. Have you found it relatively easy to live with?

Scouse

• Posted

Hi scouwegian

I've had my temporary stoma since June last year. All I can say about it is hard to get used to at the beginning in time it gets easier. The stoma itself doesn't hurt because it has no nerve endings but be careful when washing not to rub so hard or it will bleed but honestly I've coped really well looking after the skin around it. This will be all explained to you by your stoma nurse. The only other thing is when you go out just make sure there's toilets if you need them. I get drainable bags I find these easier. Also it's unpredictable when your bag fills up anytime during the day to during the night. But in all honesty I found it easy to cope with after a while. The only other thing is when you empty it can be a bit potent smell so make sure the bathroom window is open or sprays. I hope this helps if you need any more info about it please let me know as your not alone. Mary

• Posted

I've replied to you 😊lol if you still need to talk don't hesitate to ask no problem

Mary 😊

• Posted

Hopefully you have received it cause it was another essay lol

Mary ☺

• Posted

Hey Mary. I have had a reversal. It is true that it is a little more difficult but I have fared well. I had issues to begin with but I will be a year out in April from the reversal and can eat anything I like. However I still get diarrhea with some things but nothing an antidiarrheal med won't take care of. Its really up to you and what you are willing to go through to get back close to normal. No more flares to deal with. No ostomy supplies to buy and no stoma to care for. I still make sure I know where the bathfoom is for my own peace of mind. LOL

• Posted

Hi Lucy

Thanku for letting me know yea I'm going to go for it and just see how it goes 😊 I know it can give you diarrhoea and have done a lot of research into it but as you say it's trying to get a semi normal life back. I don't mind the stoma but yes it restricts your lifestyle and can be a pain in the arse 😂. I'm waiting for my appointment now as everything is healthy with the stump and all good for the reversal. I have asked for keyhole surgery as I was opened up originally and don't really want that again. Thank you for your response it helps to talk with someone who has had it done 😊

Mary

• Posted

Please keep me abreast of your success and if you need to talk im here. I named my stoma and treated it like a new child. Made it a little easier to deal with.
    • Posted

I have decided when I get my ileostomy to name it "Mike" as that is the name of the ex-husband of my Mrs, and he is also a little "sh1tbag"frown Hopefully that I will soon get rid of permanently ( the ileostmy that is)

• Posted

Ah bless you yea I'm quite attached to mine tbh sounds silly lol yea I will Def keep you informed of the opp I'm just waiting for the letter for it its s great help talking to someone who has been through it I appreciate it very much.

Mary 😊

• Posted

Mines name was the "little a$$hole". Fit him great. He was always running off at the mouth...er...butt. LOL

• Posted

Lol I've named mine my dogs name Oscar cause I'm always picking up his poo in a bag 😂

• Posted

Has he ever pooed on you feet while you were taking a shower? I laughed till I cried. I had just finished bathing and was about to get out...looked down and there it was. It was so funny. I just stood there until he finished.
    • Posted

Humour has to be the best way to handle this crappy illness and its affects

Helps being a Scouser and having a family that will find humour in it biggrin

• Posted

Lol yeah I had an instance when I was in bed woke up as it felt big I thought I'd let the air out 😬 oops wasn't air 😂 so yea everywhere was up cleaning shower but learnt from that one 😀 check first to see if it's full of air or 😷 lol

• Posted

Oh Def humerus you gotta laugh or you will cry 😂 it's something we have to live with so make the most of it tbh 😊 and being positively head strong to cope 😊 x

• Posted

OMG ......Mrs will make me sleep in the garage just to be safe and suresad No way will she risk the bed sheets lol

• Posted

Oh lol just don't do what I did 😂 make sure you get to the toilet 😁lol you learn by experience in the end 😆

• Posted

😂😁😃😄 try getting that off when you need the toilet 😲😱😵😨lol

• Posted

You guys are so funny. I asked my daughter to make me boiled eggs soon after getting home from having the "little ah" surgery. When I sat up in the bed there was this horrible smell. I thought the bag had leaked. I was trying to get up so I could clean tbe mess up. It was the boiled eggs. We both laughed till the eggs were cold. Scouse you will have your moments but just find the humor in it. It will make enough pleasant memories that the bad ones will fade away.

• Posted

😅😅😅 It did me for a while but I still love them. Besides they are very good for diarrhea. Also easy to digest. I can't wait to hear some of your stories.

• Posted

Mrs wants to wax my tummy b4 op ready for the stoma cry I'm scared

• Posted

O..U..C..H..!!!!! 😅😅 You are a better man than me. 😅😅 I never thought about that as being a woman I don't have any stomach hair. D..O..U..B..L..E.....O..U..C..H!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.