Hi all new member. Just started sertraline 4 days ago and I in hell!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, This is the first time I have ever posted online about my anxiety and depression. I have had a couple of episodes in my 40 years ( 15 years of them I took prozac with no problems ) but this one which has been on and off for the last year &  has hit me hard! I was on mirtazapine for 9 months but found they were not really helping my anxiety , so I went to my doctor and he suggested sertraline. I started taking 100mg on Saturday and all though I slept fine that night and felt ok , The rest of the week I have felt the worst I have ever felt. I can not eat , I have managed to get about 5ish hours of sleep at night but I just can not shut my mind off. I have had the worst anxiety I think I have ever had. It's hard to even cook a dinner for the family! My hands are sweating and I'm grinding my teeth!

I would not consider myself a week man But these pills have put me on the floor. I was not like this on the mirtazapine I was functioning on them!

I'm going to try and stick with them but I hope these symptoms subside.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

100mg is way to high to start on fgs no wonder ur struggling half ur dose to 50 mg and u should notice a difference! R u in the uk? I cant belive they started u on 100mg
  • Posted

I agree! I can't belive your doctor would start you that high! The awful side effects are normal unfortunately. This drug will make you feel worse before you feel better. Increased anxiety and depression is one of the first side effects. Get back to your doctor and ask about starting lower. Even if that means starting at 25mg for a period of time then up to 50 then to 100mg. Hang in there. You will get through this. I know it's hard. But we are here for you

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

How long have you been on sertraline and at what dose?

I've been on 50mg for 3 weeks and despite a couple of okish days in the first week and my appetite returning I've since got very downhill and feeling worse than ever. No appetite, insomnia, intrusive overwhelming suicidal thoughts. I'm beginning to lose hope.

Clare xx

• Posted

Try to hang in there Clare. I know when I first started at 50mg I felt awful for about 3 weeks. Unrelenting anxiety for about that long. Do you have any benzos to get you through?
    • Posted

Thanks Lauren, mine is more depression with some anxiety.

What dose are you on and for how long?

Clare xx

• Posted

Stay strong Clare, I've also had a couple of horrid thoughts that I'm a burden & I would be better of dead And it scared me to be honest! I've never had thoughts like that so I'm pretty sure it's the pills. I told my partner about it and got it into some perspective. Tell someone close to you if you can, it will help.

• Posted

Hi clare im feeling like

You at the minuite, day 5 on 50mg feel ok ome minuite then really down Nd depressed the next but was put on it for anxiety, also get bad thoughts like

Its better to not be here etc

How did u get past this and did it go away? Its vile and i have 2 children to

Look aftet

• Posted

Hi jay, sorry you are feeling so bad. I started sertaline 23days ago. 6days 25mg then 18days on 50mg and my dr has just upped me to 100mg from tomorrow. Usually people start on 50mg, how come your dr started you on 100mg where you on another med at the time? My dr told me I'd feel worse before I got better and that is certainly true! I've had terrible side effects heightened anxiety (worse than before) dry mouth, no appetite, insomnia, nausea, low mood to name a few but this is a slow acting med and takes time to start working but it will and you will get better. Just have to take one day at a time. Some days I've not got dressed, couldn't cook, was forcing food down me just so I had something but my appetite is back and side effects are starting to ease abit now. Has the dr give you anything to help with any side effects you have? I was on sertaline a few years ago for anxiety and panic attacks and it helped me so much. I felt 'normal' and I came off them and felt happy but then anxiety came back bringing depression with it, due to personal circumstances do I know my trigger, do I started back on sertaline and hoping it'll do the same thing and make me feel better again. I have had some 'ok' days so it's got to be going something but your still early on but stick with it, your not alone and if you ever need to chat, me or someone is here. It's very supportive forum and I'd be lost without it. Stay strong x

• Posted

Hello Jay I was started on 100 mg as well back at the beginning of October I am now up to 200mg still waiting on it to fully kick in.i am here if you need to chat🙂

• Posted

How are you Pam.  I feel for tou. 200mg and no respite.  How long do,toumthink it will take to kick in?
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear this. Sertalime have been my lifever and have been on the same meds as you. 100 is a high dose to start with though. You doc should have done it gradually. 25 then 59 the 75 and 100. Once they start working you will know... took me about 6 weeks all in all. First few weeks were awful but do try stick to the. Maybe see you go about your dose.. I'm upping soon to 100 as im in a good place now but anxiety is still Hanningfield around me and it needs to go

Good luck from another Jay

• Posted

Hi all , I don't want to be all mushy but all your replys have brought a tear to my eyes. My doctor started me on a high dose as I was on mertazpine at 30mg and he said ,  if I start you any lower then it would be like going backwards. ( Go figure! )  I have manged today, to get to the shops on my own but good grief that was hard. My stomach is in bits but I am forcing food in smile But not much. My anixety is at a all time high , worse then when my anixety started  . It comes in waves with lots of horrid negitive thoughts! everytime it comes I do my mindfulness breathing which gives me a little breathing space from the thoughts. Yes I live in the uk and I have got some benzos but I try to save them for night to get some sleepsmile

Im sorry I can't reply to all posts I just feel wiped out.

Ill keep posting if thats ok?  Thanks you for your replys .

• Posted

Good to hear from you Jay. One day at a time. You'll get there

• Posted

Hi Jay

I'm on day 7 of 50mg with no other medication apart from HRT. Im suffering the same side effects as you. I was told I would feel worse before I felt better but I didn't think it would be this bad.

• Posted

Hi Bridget, I know, I had no idea how bad I would feel taking Sertraline. It has been awful. I really hope your doing OK because I really know how you feel. Jay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.