Moving house after hysterectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm considering having a TAH to remove uterus with largish fibroid which hasn't shrunk after menopause and causing pressure on bladder for years. Now I have a prolapsed bladder, bowel and cervix. I need to move house after the op doing it alone clearing stuff out and packing up. Has anyone done this any idea how long I might need to wait before I do heavy lifting/stretching etc? Would appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different. Before my TAH, I helped my husband with his electrical business, which is pretty active work requiring heavy lifting. Eight months later and I still have to be careful lifting. I would plan on at least six months before you do any heavylifting.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. I thought it might be about that long. I will be careful.

• Posted

Hi I was in your situation 3 years ago at age 32. I strongly suggest you don't do it yourself. If possible pay a company to do it for you. After my operation ito took me 3 months to be well enough to return to work with normal duties. It then takes a while after for your abdomen to recovery fully.

Tanya

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I was going to use a removal firm but there is still all the sorting out of stuff and packing up and then the same at the other end. Lots of physical work best to be careful! Might put the op off until after I've moved although I have been putting off for 5 years,

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

Quite simply put - you can't do it!

I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago and recovered very well. If you have a vaginal procedure which is less invasive, you could be back to 'normal' in 6-12 weeks.  But normal still means to avoid lifting.  You don't say how old you are - I'm 63 - but the older you are the more risk there is to damaging muscles with heavy lifting, so you need to be careful.  I had a bad bleed at 2 weeks post op.  All I did was twist my body trying to remove a plug from behind a sofa and obviously tore internal stitches which was scary.  The thing is that you may feel well enough to move house without help after the op but your insides won't be up to it.  Be very careful!

Best wishes

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I should have made clear that I am planning to get a removal firm as I am moving 150 miles away but there is still all the packing up and sorting out of stuff here and at the other end which is all physical stuff! I might put off op till after move and be referred where I am moving to but have been putting off for years. By the way I am 57.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.