Possible gallstones - advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So it all started a week ago with pain under my rib cage (right side) that radiated up my side to armpit and shoulder. It was uncomfortable but not the worst pain I've had. I saw the nurse who sent me for bloods and gave me buscopan and told me to follow up with dr.

I've struggled to eat since this started and most I do manage to eat makes me feel sick. Saw the dr yesterday and she prescribed me zapain. I had a ct scan about a month ago, looking for adhesions and that doesn't show anything wrong with my gallbladder - but the dr said it might be in one of the ducts? And can't be a complete blockage as bloods came back fine.

Tonight I managed my first 'almost' proper dinner, two hours later I was sick. And hour later I was sick again. I'm sipping water now as scarred of being sick again. However I don't really have any pain. A few sharp pains in shoulder and a little discomfort under ribs but nothing bad.

Anyone have any advice...please? Should I go back to my dr in the morning? I'm at my wits end and don't no what to do for the best.

I haven't taken any painkillers since this morning as was hoping to go back to work tomorrow and they make me really spaced out.

Sorry for the long post - just don't no what to do anymore 😫

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that you're struggling with this.  Your doctor should have other tests performed, such as an ultrasound or a HIDA scan to get to the bottom of what's going on.  The fact that you're not in lots of pain is good, but you're still getting sick.

Was the CT scan done because you were experiencing the pain, or for another reason? 

A diseased gallbladder stresses the liver and the pancreas. Did your doctor run a liver panel to see if your enzymes were elevated? And, if you had a stone lodged in a duct, you would be very ill indeed.  

I suggest that you ask your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist, who can properly diagnose and treat you in a timely fashion.

Good luck, please let me know how you get on!   

• Posted

Hello, most definately go back to your doctor and ask for ultra sound. Being poorly like you have been is going to totally worry you and tire you out. My husband who is still waiting for op date is a nurse and we pushed for alsorts as he was in terrible pain. I will say that the only thing that appeared to help was a hot water bottle as no pain killers or Buscopan worked. We tweaked his diet and found small amounts of food (but not fatty) helped a bit ( Alpro vanilla dessert) was a great favourite as it's like custard so easily digestible. Also, oat milk and gluten free bread. Can't it will work for you as everyone is different, but I really hope it does. The worst thing about this problem apart from the pain is the washed out tired feeling you have with it. But keep eating as best you can and go for easily digestible foods and little but often and see how it goes, and DEFINATELY go to you Dr. Do not be afraid of going as many times as necessary until you get something done. Keep your chin up.

• Posted

I am so sorry for what you are going through - I agree with another response that you need a HIDA scan to see how the gall bladder is functioning and in the meantime stick to a very low fat diet - I know this can be hard.  The HIDA scan can show a lot - whether it might be stones, or just a problem gall bladder, like I had, or something else if scores are fine from test.  Pullign for you -

Jonna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.