Can Acid Reflux (GERD) or LPR cause swollen lymph nodes?

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there!

Sorry for the lengthy post. During September 2016 (4 months ago), I notice that my right Submandibular nodes (below right jaw, salivary gland) was swollen. It was painless and it is movable. I've had acid reflux since I was still in junior high school (currently 23 years old) and when I notice this lump, I instantly panicked and start searching on google (not a good idea). Since then I have went to 2 different ENT, 1 oncologist, and 2 different gastroenthologist. All of them said that it is not a concern. All of them is not concerned at all, however they also do not give me a clear expalantion. One of them said that perhaps the reflux may cause irritation on my throat that then cause mini infection that I may not feel. One of them said that perhaps it is due to my past tonsilitis infection (I have suffered from 8 bouts of tonsilitis on 2016-should probably get my tonsil removed ASAP).

My acid reflux is not that bad. I seldom gets any heartburn; all that I feel is the globus / feeling like there's a lump in the base of my throat (since October 2016) and that whenever I want to burp / belch, the acid and some food contents comes back up to my throat. I also have constat post nasal drip and have to clear my throat all the time. My tongue is white but my throat and tongue seldom got burns from the acid reflux. 

What drives me crazy is that 2 weeks ago I notice there's yet another lymph node pops up on the right side of my neck. It is also painless and movable, and it is rougly 1 - 1.5 cm. I am in full panic mode now and have think about bad case scenario (lymphoma, etc.). 

I will go back to my gastro and oncologist doctor, but it will be around early February 2017. Can you guys please share if you have also encountered this problem with painless lymph node swelling with acid reflux / LPR? 

Thanks guys!

5 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think that the swollen nodes have any connection to acid reflux.  They are encapsulated and thus not exposed to refluxed acid.

I have had similar swollen nodes most of my life.  They swell and go down for unknown reasons.  If I start pushing one around I can make it sore and it will increase in size, so I try not to rub them.

I think they are sensitive to hormonal changes.  They are also part of the immune system and can enlarge when there is an infection in the body.  I also have a few lymph nodes that are always swollen.  2 under my rib cage, LH and RH.  One in my left armpit.  These have bothered me occationally for over 30 years, but have not turned into anything.  Occationally I will ask a doctor about them, and they always say it's normal.

I have also always had tonsil issues and sore throat problems, but never had them removed.

I am now 59 years old but now have other issues I deal with.  Gastritis and now diabetes type 2.

I have a discussion centered on treating acid reflux with carbonated water.  This is to strengthen the esophageal sphincter.

4 or 5 times a day you drink 10 oz of carbonated water and then hold down the burp.  Initially for 5 minutes, then over 2 months slowly work up to 20 minutes per session.  Release the burp slowly after each treatment.

I hope this info can prove helpful to you.  John

• Posted

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply. That's also what I think.. how is it possible that acid can cause lymph node to swell. However one of my ENT doctor said that it is probably my reflux may cause irritation on my throat that then cause several infections that I may not feel.

Now the lymp node on the right side of my neck seem to subside I think (or just my feeling). Have you notice any pain at all when the nodes first pops up (before pusing it around)? I do not notice any pain at all even when I push and prod it all day. 

Thank you for your suggestion John, I will try the carboantd water method and hopefully can find a relief to this horrible reflux. Hope you stay healthy and well. 

• Posted

I don't notice any pain as long as I leave them alone.  Some people say to push on them to drain them, but I'm not sure about that.  If a person is relatively healthy, they will drain by themselves.  If they were to get large like the mumps or visibly enlarged then I would be concerned. 

One strange thing about my acid reflux consition.  I am now fine sitting, standing, lying down flat but for some reason sitting in a recliner can cause some burning.  I'm not sure why.

Keep me posted.  John

• Posted

I read your post with interest b/c I have LPR. With all due respect, treating "acid reflux" with carbonated water is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Carbonated drinks and any drinks from a can, especially those with a high acid content such as fruit juices, are contra-indicated for reflux. PLEASE, for your own good, reconsider that idea that carbonated drinks of any kind help reflux. They do extra damage!

• Posted

I read your advice to Jonathan and I agree with him and disagree with you. I have LPR and am a nurse. Every body works different and while my Doctor told me to avoid sodas, I told her coke actually makes me feel better. In fact putting in an alka seltzer in my water often is exactly what my body needs. Because both are effervescent, it promotes the reduction of acid reflux actually.So, bottom line: follow your body, what feels good and like john, drinking carbonated water and an occasional coke is good.. Juices, nectars as you claim, are not the same as carbonated drinks..and even still, a good nectar or juice is good, as long as it is not acidic.

• Posted

Im on the same boat, im 18 and out of nowhere i started burping alot than in a month everytime i would drink or eat i would feel it squeeze through my esophagues, i kinda felt it go to my lower left chest, its been like that for a few months, i also noticed a lymp node in my neck that at 1st was painful but it became painless and its movable but it feels kinda of hard.

I just noticed another one on the other side of my neck, they are under my jaw lines.

I also looked online and got scared but my doctor did some blood work and he said his not concerned with them aswell.

• Posted

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply. I also burp constantly and whenever I burp some liquid (sometimes food content) comes back up to my throat.. not fun at all. 

Have your lymph node subside? Or is it still there? Mine is painless from the first time that they pop up and up until now (4+ months under my right jaw/submandibular gland) still have not subside at all, but it also does not get bigger. The one on the right side of my neck has been there for around 3 weeks and is also painless and have not gone down at all I think.. I guess it may be cause by acid reflux then.

Have you try to find the cause of your reflux? Have you done an endoscopy? 

Hope you found reflief soon.

• Posted

I had acid reflux for more than 20 years so I did not search for the reason, I just treated it when it happened.  No endoscopy ever.  My carbonated water treatment has cured my main reflux issues.  I just do it once a week now for maintenance.

I found some interesting information:

"The body has between 501 and 700 lymph nodes (the number of nodes varies from individual to individual). About half of the nodes are in the middle of your body (stomach or abdominal cavity). The lymph nodes near your armpits and groin have about 100 nodes.Feb 24, 2016"

If there are hundreds of lymph node in the stomach area, this would explain why a slight inflamation of all of them could crowd the digestive system and cause all sorts of problems.

John

• Posted

Guys. For lymph node in neck, chew 2 numbers of raw black pepper for 15 mins in everyday with empty stomach. Try for 2 days you will see the difference.
    • Posted

I agree, a coke and alka seltzer in the water is good despite my doctor saying to avoid carbonated drinks. The effervescent are good. You have to listen to the body.

• Posted

Hey hows it going now? I to have reflux and enlarged nodes, my dr has told me that it can cause lymph enlargement due to the fact that lymph nodes can swell due to inflammation and viruses/infections. And reflux cause inflammation and can cause recurring viruses/mini infections 
    • Posted

Also did you have a biopsy when having gastroscope done? Because that could tell you the reason for the reflux.. mine is due to the fact i am borderline lactose intolerant
  • Posted

Where are you on this now? Ive been dealing with the same thing now im having slight pain and discomfort under my jawline. Im so tired if being told its nothing. Im demanding mri's asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.