Pre op next week, what happens at it and did you get op date then?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have got an appointment for pre op next week but I haven't had an op date for Gallbladder removal yet, has anyone else had it done like this? I thought you had pre op around a week before op? I ideally need to have more than a weeks notice for work!

What do they do at pre op? I've already had bloods taken?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy

i had my pre op a week before my operation. I had ECG, checked my height and weight, water sample, bloods, blood pressure and MRSA swabs. A few days ago,I had to do blood tests again.  

My my operation is this afternoon

• Posted

Thanks, it's good to have an idea what will happen at my pre op appointment. I got my op date today, it's 2 weeks after pre op. Hope yours goes well today, please let me know how it goes.x

• Posted

Hello Lucy, They like to get get all your obs as near to the date of operation as possible so they have got up to date information. Don't worry.

• Posted

I had to have a pre op a year ago in order to get on the waiting list. Had a call yesterday to say my op is on 29 Jan and another pre op tomorrow. Just to warn you may have a long wait for op date. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks for that, luckily I haven't got to wait that long, I have got a date for op today and it's 2 weeks after pre op. Hope yours goes well.x

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I met with the surgeon at the beginning of Jan and he discussed the procedure, the nurse then gave me swabs to test for mrsa.To be honest not much happened as he already had details via my consultant. I didn't get a letter with an op date until 10 days after but the op won't be until 1st March and they've put a note in it to go to my gp at least 5 days before to have bloods done and sent to hospital. I'm in the UK so Ican only talk about my case, I know they do things differently elsewhere.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm also in the UK. Today I got my op date and it's 2 weeks after the pre op. I had bloods done when I saw the consultant 2 weeks ago so I guess they will do more then at pre op. Hope your op goes well.x

• Posted

pre op appointment comes first then usually 5-10days later your appointment for op.

thats how it worked with me back in December xx

good luck with the op, i had mine at 12 noon and was home by 8.00pm 

• Posted

Thanks, that's good that you wasn't in long, I've been told I have it done in the morning and should be able to go home in the afternoon. I got home today to a letter with a date for the op , it's 2 weeks after the pre op, getting really nervous now!

• Posted

You will be fine, your only in about 45 mins. They give you really gorgous pants to wear 😉 And you have to eat and wee before you can come home.

• Posted

Will make sure I push a wee out and eat something so that I can get home 😉

• Posted

i actually said , i had done a wee , when i hadn't and got a bit worried that night cos i still couldnt wee properly 😐served me right for fibbing but i was fine by early morning...

• Posted

That's the sort of thing I would do just so I can get home and then worry about it all night. Pleased you was okay though 😊x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.