Managing Time on Your Feet

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm now nine weeks after my TKR and progressing well.  I definitely have started to feel better physically and psychologically but now the hardest thing is being on my feet for any length of time.  If I go out to the shops after an hour or so I've had enough.  I went back to work today as a housekeeper, I only did 2.5 hours and I am wiped out.  My knee isn't swelling or painful but it is sore/aching.  How long has it taken people to get back to a 'normal' day of activity?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow! Jane... very early to be going back to work as a housekeeper. I imagine you spend most of the day on your feet. My GP signed me off for 3 mths and then said I could go back on reduced hours..

Take it easy. Listen to your body.

Good luck

• Posted

I will, my employers is very good. It's only twice a week and I'm easing back in gently - I don't think I could do anything but! 🙂

• Posted

Hi Jane and congratulations and making great progress through your first 9 weeks of recovery. Everyone moves at a different pace so I think you have crossed the big hurdle of recognizing your own limitations and listening to your body. As far as shopping stamina goes, I went through the same disappointment only to find that you are probably right on schedule and maybe even a little ahead of the game. Do short outings to begin with, with frequent rest stops between your errands. Don't push your knee too hard at this point. Same thing with your job. I went back at about 14 weeks. I work as a nurse and started with 6 hour shifts and now at 20 weeks I am up to my full 12 hour shifts. I do not usually work 2 days in a row, though, so the following day I take it easy by relaxing with my feet up, sometimes still icing. It's truly an individual journey as far as the time line goes. Many people will remind you to listen to your body and stop when you feel you had overdone it. I will also remind you, and others, that remaining too sedentary is also detrimental for TKR replacement as it continues to weaken the already weak muscles and causes stiffness and pain. Find your balance and don't let anyone push you too fast or limit you by telling you that you are going too quickly. Only you can gauge that. Best wishes for continued success with your recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Dee, I'm only in two days a week and have agreed to,build my hours up gradually.  I think although it's not easy for me I did need to start getting back to some sort of normal.  Will rest when I come home and continue icing. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi  dee..Quick question..I too am a nurse and returned to 12 hour shifts 12 weeks s/p trk..When you stand for periods of time, does your knee stiffin up..Im having problems with walking and standing..knee gets stiff but if i stretch it out..im go to go a couple..also when i first get up..It take a few seconds before i can feel strong..have you had any of these problems..I work out regularly - some so too much -
    • Posted

Great reply Dee! Especially that sedentary life can work against you. I also expect I'll have to be off the day after a shift. Thanks for your well stated encouragement!

• Posted

I definitely have the same problem and do a lot of shifting the weight while I stand, stretching my leg and doing leg bends while I am standing in one spot also helps. I also have trouble if I sit too long (which doesnt happen very often in nursing! LoL) I am feeling my best when I am moving and keeping my muscles loose. I know I have a ways to go, but it sure feels good to be back to work and some semblance of "normal".  When I get done with work I usually hit the pool and that gives me something to look forward to during a long shift. Best wishes for continued healing!

• Posted

Hi Jane. I was at 4 months and was offered 12 hours high paying work on my feet all day. I knew I couldn't manage it. Now, at 10 months, an 8 hour full day of work is manageable. I need a day off between though. I am 64, had both knees replaced in Mar 2016 and find, if I exercise 3 days a week for 40 minutes, I can achieve most of what I want and need to undertake. Best of luck.

• Posted

Back to work at nine weeks?  Really?

Read...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

This takes a year...period.  I'm 10+ months and I'm still not done.  Most people tell the same story.  Very, very, very, very few kick this in 4-6 weeks.  Most of us don't go back to work for 6 months.  Some pain, stiffness and clunking sounds can last 12-18 months.

I don't know who set you up with such an expectation but you need to rid yourself of it.  Everyone heals in their own time; do not compare your recovery to anyone else's.  That said, almost all of us fall into the 6-9 month range before we feel substantially better.

Swelling, soreness, aching...ALWAYS indicate that you pushed the knee too far that day.  A FitBit or pedometer can be helpful in finding the number of steps that bring on the pain and swelling.  Back off to find that point...stabilize there...then advance slowly.  Constant pain every day is NOT recommended and will push your recovery out longer.  Be prepared for advances, setbacks and plateaus.  After PT gets you your 0 / +120 ROM back, a lot of gym work to rebuild your quads, glutes and core will be necessary.  Your knee swells or aches because there are no muscles to take the strain off the knee.  Gotta rebuild.

A Zen Master will tell you: "You'll be better when you're better."  Any "timetable" is just in your head...get rid of it.  Going back to work too early would certainly not be recommended by anyone who has been through it.  Minimum is usually in the 3-4 month range with most of us closer to six.  You go back to work when your ROM is back to normal and you have rebuilt your muscles.  Your pain indicates that you went back waaaaay too soon.

• Posted

Thanks Chico. Thankfully it's very part time - I need the money though.  Will rest and ice extra carefully the days in between. I love those Zen Masters 😊

• Posted

I know what it's like.  Needed some bucks so I worked the entire holiay season on my feet at Best Buy.  Hurt?  Oh yeah...because of my stenosis.  The knee fared just fine.  Just take it slow and easy...please.  

• Posted

Hi Jane

I live on my own and there's no way I can stay off my leg for any period of time. I ice and elevate as much as I can but even at 4 months post op I have swelling. I was perturbed about it but after reading a lot of helpful posts I'm just going with the flow and looking forward to a year post op. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.