Knee recoverey

Posted , 19 users are following.

now 10weeks post op TNR, my knee is still quite uncomfortable. I returned to work 2 weeks ago so by the end of the day my knee is puffy again. It is still uncomfortable in bed just can't seem to get comfortable. Good job I sleep alone lol. I go to water aerobics once a week and do my exercises daily ,probably not for as long as I should. I just thought it would be better than it is by now, The consultant said I am doing fine but I don't feel it. Anybody else out there about the same post op as me who I can compère with 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Edited

"I just thought it would be better than it is by now."  Really?  At 10 weeks?  Really?

Read...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

This takes a year...period.  I'm 10+ months and I'm still not done.  Most people tell the same story.  Very, very, very, very few kick this in 4-6 weeks.  Most of us don't go back to work for 6 months.  Some pain, stiffness and clunking sounds can last 12-18 months.

I don't know who set you up with such expectations but you need to rid yourself of them.  Everyone heals in their own time; do not compare your recovery to anyone else's.  That said, almost all of us fall into the 6-9 month range before we feel substantially better.

Swelling ALWAYS indicates that you pushed the knee too far that day.  A FitBit or pedometer can be helpful in finding the number of steps that bring on the pain and swelling.  Back off to find that point...stabilize there...then advance slowly.  Constant swelling every day is NOT recommended and will push your recovery out longer.  Be prepared for advances, setbacks and plateaus.  After PT gets you your 0 / +120 ROM back, a lot of gym work to rebuild your quads, glutes and core will be necessary.  Your knee swells because there are no muscles to take the strain off the knee.  Gotta rebuild.

A Zen Master will tell you: "You'll be better when you're better."  Any "timetable" is just in your head...get rid of it.  Going back to work at 8 weeks would certainly not be recommended by anyone who has been through it.  Minimum is usually in the 3-4 month range with most of us closer to six.  You go back to work when your ROM is back to normal and you have rebuilt your muscles.  Your swelling indicates that you went back waaaaay too soon.

• Posted

Thanks Chico ,I feel so much better now.(I think) perhaps my expectations  were too high. Both my consultant and physio said I was fine to return to work after 8 weeks. I work in primary. School so I am able to sit down when I need too,and I am only working mornings for another week, then back to full time. I will increase my exercise and see if that helps. As you said my knee feels stiff and clicks but I suppose it would seeing it's metal and plastic. I just need to be more patient.

• Edited

It just takes time...a lot of time.  I've had four knee scopes, two shoulder ops, artificial hip, fused back and now the knee (left out lots of others...).  The knee is THE WORST pain and the LONGEST recovery of any other op (I guess excluding brain surgery and heart transplant).

You have to listen to the knee.  When it doesn't like what you're doing, it will tell you (swelling, pain, soreness, etc.).  You cannot push through that like you can with hip, shoulder, etc.  You have to STOP...back off to heal more and then increase again gradually by gaining ROM and strength.  Do otherwise and you risk limping for the rest of your life.

At 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps on my FitBit (5+ miles) and I still hurt...but there's no swelling or real pain in the knee.  Instead I developed stenosis in my back; surgery in February.  You just have to build your body back up to take a full day at work.  Remember, it's not just the 8 hours you put in...add all the morning prep, lunch time, commute home and then after work activities.  A new knee cannot handle all of that too soon.  You have to make the knee recovery your priority until it is better.  Just sayin'...

• Posted

I retired as an early childhood teacher and can tell you that sitting for a long while is never happening with young children. You are up and down constantly. I personally think you went back to work too soon. By evening you are probably physically exhausted, knee swollen and painful. Chico has some great tips and advice for us TKR newbies . Rest, ice and take meds. My TKR was about 5 weeks ago and without this forum, I probably would be crying in a corner. Soooo...if it gets to be too much, cut back on work. The people on the forum will give you answers to any questions you have ( and I have submitted a lot of questions and received many answers that helped me so much)
    • Posted

Hi Chico

im new to this page ..

Im 7 Weeks knee replacement post op and i must say Thank you for your advise ..

I actually was getting a bit worried myself as things are not going as fast as i thought they would !!!

But have to say I feel so much better now after reading your Advise

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Jance,

I'm two months post op and about the same situation as you.

I went back to teaching at 6 weeks and I'm glad I did. Yes, it does get a little swelled up after a long day (especially if I throw in snow-blowing the driveway and PT) but the benefits of being with the kids and my colleagues far outweigh the pain. Sitting around was depressing.

I see Chico said most people don't go  back to work for six months but that is absolutlely not the case with my friends who have had TKR. I\d say they averaged returning in two months.

I am confident I'll be playing three sets with my band in March, golfing in April, and dancing at my daughter's wedding in May. 

• Posted

I am six weeks out and very disappointed with the total knee replacement.  Despite full commitment to the PT program, I required a surgical manipulation at four weeks.  The ongoing pain, stiffness and lack of progress make me regret the entire procedure.  My advice to anyone contemplating TKR would be to avoid it if you can.
    • Posted

Stir early days vernon. We expect to much too soon by other people's comments .

• Posted

Im 9 wks out bilateral replacements. Get some swelling (left knee)when I'm standing 5hrs. I am building endurance since week 6 as i am supposed to rtn to wk in 4 more weeks and need to last 12hrs! I might be able to push being off a few extra weeks. But cant lose my job being off longer.

The swelling is soreness and i lose some flexion but its not PAIN. I can still get on treadmill with no increase in aches or any more swelling even after 5hr standing. Those days w more swelling does it make harder to rest.

Overall, i know I'm doing great. But i expect a lot out of myself-sounds like u do too,lol.

Patience is your best friend. Comparisons are natural and thats one reason we get on this blog. We feel better after realize were not alone.

Rest as often as you can. Keep your strength up and wait out a year as tough as that might be.

Keep up your exercises so your knee stays strong.

Good luck

smile

• Posted

Thank you for positive feed back. So easy to give in and get depressed.lm sure in a few months I will be more than happy with my knee. I dropped the base of a floor lamp on my other foot a week ago so at the moment that is more painful than my knee.😑 

• Posted

Hi,

I am 12 weeks post operation TKR.

I feel for you, I have the same problems as you , the worst is lack of sleep, I cannot get comfortable, the worst pain is just below my knee, my consultant tells me that's the longest pain to heal.

I hope you improve.

best wishes

Peter

• Posted

me too! i thought as a ski instructor this would be relatively easy for me to recover from but it hasn't been, not by a long shot. Haven't slept much in six weeks and have huge calf pain. i wish i just knew that everything was alright. Bah humbug!

• Posted

Had knee replacement one year six months and have to say I would hardly know I had a new knee. Remarkable the recovery but I was extremely diligent with my exercises and was walking 5/6 miles a day after 2 months. One has to have a positive mind set

• Posted

I am at 8 weeks after TKR on right knee.

I had my 6 week check with surgeon and he said i was ahead of target - good flexion (110 degrees at a push) and good range of movement. I told him it felt sore & painful more often than not but this was normal.

I am doing 2 x 10 min sessions on exercise bike , 3 sessions of bending and stretching and walking about 4 miles during day with ice packs in between all of this. I think i may have pushed too far recentlly as its a bit painful. Still have poor sleeps so have to take the odd tramadol during night.

My target was far too optimistic at 6 to 8 weeks to get back to work so I'm now looking at 9 to 10 weeks as the surgeon recommended.

I now know it is a longer drawn out process so will have to keep at it.

Does anyone use any post op massage cream??

• Posted

It may take some time and patience to heal from a knee injury or surgery, and for a speedy recovery, it's crucial to adhere to your doctor's or physical therapist's recommendations. These are some general pointers for recovering your knee:

Rest and protect the knee: Steer clear of activities that strain or hurt it, and if required, use crutches or a brace.

Applying ice to the knee for 15-20 minutes many times a day will help reduce swelling. Keep the knee elevated as well.

Follow a physical therapy program created to strengthen the knee and increase range of motion by performing physical therapy exercises. For optimum healing, consistency and dedication to the regimen are crucial.

Take painkillers as directed: Take painkillers as directed by your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.