When do I remove bandaid over incision after ankle ligament reconstruction surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery and a cyst removed exactly two weeks ago. Three days ago I had my soft cast removed and stitches removed. They put a bandaid (or something) over it. My doctor didn't tell me much of anything. Just wondering when I should remove the bandage. And should I recover it? I am worried about it getting rubbed off in my boot or hurting worse without a bandage and my boot pressing on it. Anyone who has been through this or knows anything, please help! Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't remove it until told to. And if you weren't told, I'd call and ask. Just to be safe, ya know? 

• Posted

He told me I can get it wet. But they recovered it after removing stitches. I already have the okay to remove it. But wanted to know when other people have. And if they recovered it with anything or just put it in the boot.
  • Posted

I had tendon surgery and quite a big incision. After my stitches removed I had these little bandaid strips placed over incision. I think they are called butterfly stitches. They came off on their own from bathing over time. Don't force it... or try to remove it. When my incision had healed enough and the scab was coming loose on its own, the bandage strips came off naturally after a bath... a few strips at a time. If it hurts and tugs if you try to remove bandage then leave it on. Now, I wear a heavy sock over my compression sock (made just for cam boots) to help cushion area around incision. I got it on Amazon. And, I never wore leggins before, but wear them all the time now cause they are soft near my incision.

• Posted

I wish they would have put butterfly stitches on mine. They cut my stitches out which were actually up inside the incision. And put a big square bandage over it. I know it needs to come off and get air but I am so worried about my boot rubbing off the scabs. If it even scabbed over. I haven't looked yet.

Thank you for your response

• Posted

Great advice. My incision area hurts bad. 14 week's after ORIF broken tibia and Fibula in ankle.

• Posted

I agree. I think those butterfly strips should stay on as long as possible. I had them on under a cast for 8 weeks and then they came off naturally when I started bathing. I think they help to keep your skin together and keep you from scarring badly. My scar came out great, and that may be the reason. 
  • Posted

I had ORIF 14 week's ago. I removed my entire splint after sugery and ended up with a lethel airborn infection. 56 KFlex in total! Crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.