Been to see consultant, results are in.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just been with my partner to see urologist and get the results of 3T MRI which he had done last week. Scan clear, no areas of concern showing which is a massive relief. It does show that his prostate is approximately 70cc so it's not surprising he can feel it. The urologist is content that this accounts for the PSA level of 7.6. He did however advise us that there still could be a tiny Pca in there that the scan would not have picked up, and whilst it would probably never cause any harm or concern he did give the option of a biopsy with 14 cores to be certain. My partner is a worrier and wants this biopsy done. Hopefully he won't regret it. There was no pressure to agree to biopsy and we did feel quite well informed. I think it's for the best as free PSA % is 16. This didn't concern the consultant but as it falls into the "intermediate" category according to some websites we feel happier proceeding to biopsy. So we are looking at early march probably for the procedure to be carried out. Thanks to all of you who have read and replied to my many posts, you have all been a great help and I will continue visiting daily x

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi caz, Great news. I had similar results from my MRI. While it says you are in the clear, as your urologist said, the MRI picks up significant PCa and tends to not see small PCa due to similar tissue in the early stages. I chose the no biopsy route at this stage.

Look forward to seeing your post in early March to hear the results. Blind biopsies tend to be like fishing.

Geoff

• Posted

I feel that the 3T MRI is very good and if there was something there is should have show it self.  I don't talk with any consultant  What I don't like is that he tells you all is clear and no area of concerns.  Then you get well may be.  I would see a doctor before I would have the biopsy done. Maybe he's not concern so that is why he did not talk to you.  I had a 13 core biopsy done when I was 47  Turned out to me a infection.  I'm 61 now and doing fine.  Before you have it done see the doctor and see what he has to say...Why have it if there is no problem.  All that is going to do is IRRITATE his prostate   What ever you deside good luck Ken. 

• Posted

Hi Caz,

My guess is that if the MRI didn't find anything, a 14 core biopsy is very likely to find nothing also. If there is cancer there it obviously is very small or the MRI which is very sensitive would have picked it up. 14 cores represent a very small percentage of the volume of the prostate, especially your partner's, since his is about twice normal size. The size itself could be the cause of the rise in PSA.

How about considering waiting a while, say 6 months, then doing another 3TMRI? That way if something is going on, you'll still see it and catch it early, without the very real danger and pain of the biopsy, which is a poor tool, particularly for what would have to be a small tumor.

Neal

• Posted

Neal..  That is what I was saying wait don't rush into anything.  Ken

• Posted

yes, that does make sense. We now are fairly sure that anything that may be present is very small and suitable for active surveillance. I think he made the decision too quickly last night to have a  biopsy. We will discuss over weekend and look at the option of a PSA and 3T MRI a bit down the line maybe. I am scared of him getting infection even though consultant said it's around 5% chance. he also said the last case of urinary retention following the procedure carried out by him was around 2 years ago! Unfortunately we won't know until it's too late.

• Posted

Yes that would be good.  Caz talk it over with him.  Why cause more problem if you don't need them  Good luck in what ever you decide Ken

• Posted

I was given small numbers for infection when I had the operation done. Spent 5 days in isolation a week after the op with a infection. Lol
    • Posted

That would have been scary in isolation...sort of hoping, the antibiotic they were using was good enough. A bit frightening that the infections are getting smarter and the present antibiotics starting to fall behind.
    • Posted

They played it down. Or tryed to. Came to me after less than a day said we have to move you. There going to redo the floors in this wing. Then my wife noticed they took me down 2 floors then back up a floor. Went all around the hospital. They were avoiding taking me down any hallways that had patient rooms. Then the room they put me in had a sign posted outside the door. No entry without gloving and gowning up. Nothing left that room. Not even a stethoscope. Not even a thermometer. Was told 2 days, ended up being 5 days. Was given 2-IV antibiotics. Sent home after that with a third one. Blew out all the veins in my arms and hands. The meds eat your veins up they are so strong.
    • Posted

I agree with Kenneth. There is always the possibility that the consultant is stretching things are bit, or that patients who got infections, or other complications subsequently saw someone else. And, as I wrote before, the biopsy is unlikely to show anything at this point even if it were safe and painless.

Neal

• Posted

Caz,

Someone else started a new post on here, and I knew you would want to see it, and perhaps show it to your consultant. I wanted to be sure you didn't miss it.

Neal

Improved prostate cancer testing using MRI Scan

Posted about 14 hours ago

By James GallagherHealth and science reporter, BBC News website 20 Jan 2017

"The biggest leap in diagnosing prostate cancer "in decades" has been made using new scanning equipment, say doctors and campaigners.

Using advanced MRI nearly doubles the number of aggressive tumours that are caught.

And the trial on 576 men, published in the Lancet, showed more than a quarter could be spared invasive biopsies, which can lead to severe side-effects.

The NHS is already reviewing whether the scans can be introduced widely.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in British men, and yet testing for it is far from perfect.

If men have high prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels in the blood, they go for a biopsy.

Twelve needles then take random samples from the whole of the prostate.

It can miss a cancer that is there, fail to spot whether it is aggressive, and cause side-effects including bleeding, serious infections and erectile dysfunction.

"Taking a random biopsy from the breast would not be accepted, but we accept that in prostate," said Dr Hashim Ahmed, a consultant and one of the researchers.

Around 100,000 to 120,000 men go through this every year in the UK.

Scanning

The trial, at 11 hospitals in the UK, used multi-parametric MRI on men with high PSA levels.

It showed 27% of the men did not need a biopsy at all."

• Posted

Yes they are.  Had Sepsis in 2014 was like that for 4 days.  No one could come in unless they had a mask gloves and a gown I never want to go through that again  Ken
    • Posted

I had IV's for 6 days and a port in my arm when I went home.  they took blood 43 times  I have the sheet that they charge my insurance  MY ARMS WERE SORE FOR DAYS.    I don't let them touch my hands anymore they blew them to...Ken  

• Posted

Caz Neal sent you the post I was talking about read it  Ken
    • Posted

The bad part was half the staff didn't follow protical. Probably how I got the infection.

• Posted

Well was only supposed to be a day or two. So they didn't run a picc line. They should have. The one drug, when ran in a picc, takes 90 minutes to run. In IV took 3 and a half hours. night nurses would try to crank it up. Run it in 2 and a half hours. Blow the vein out. Then morning nurse would have to restart a new IV . Sometimes they had to restart it 2 times a day. Plus blood work 2 or 3 times a day to check drug levels in my blood stream. Other drug was a 30 minute run. Gave me a migraine every time. That was 3 times a day. Other was twice a day.

• Posted

Yes that was a pain.  In the hospital I was in they did follow the rules.  They did blood on me 2 to 3 times a hour for 6 days.  Had to have 11 more at home.  Had a nurse come ever morning.  She was very nice.  That is when I told them no about putting a catheter in thay still tryed but could not get it in. ( They needed a urine sample )  I peed on my own a hour later a hour  When I said I told you no.  The nurse said oh I'm sorry I did not hear you.  Ya right  They just did what they wanted to do.  Never again.  Ken.. 

• Posted

I had a night nurse just glove up. No mask or gown. One lady from nutrition would look around, then bring me in my food. Say she's holding her breath. I was like well you can't catch my infection breathing. You can by touch tho. These are ppl who go in every room on that floor atleast. The meds made my temp jump up and down the first 3 days on them. So I was calling the night nurse in half way threw the shift for a dry gown and sheet. They change the sheet while I washed up and changed my gown. Real pita.

• Posted

Loved the lady who held her breath...And as you say, the catering people go into every room. With all our technical advances, some times we fall down at the most basic levels...Fantastic you and Ken recovered. I understand sepsis is a very very serious problem, and the after effects maybe with you for life. That doctors simply say...it only affects a few patients..is an excuse to continue... is amazing.
    • Posted

Everyone was pretty good but I finely ask if someone could help me take a shower.  After 4 days of being on the iv's they said yes.  I had cold sweat and it was so cold in that room.  No male nurses around so they sent in a tx about 22 she was very nice and at that point I did not care.  I worked in a nursing home when I was younger  you see everything even stuff you don't want to see.  I hope I never get that again Take it easy  Ken

• Posted

I think that is a lie.  I have heard of alot of people getting it now and we had a few stars die of it within the last couple of years.  I throught I had the flu.  I was not one to run to the hospital for me.  I would just deal with it.  When I broke down and ask my son to take me I had trouble seeing walking Had 103 fever cold chill.  When they did my blood test it was 25.000 the dr told me if I would have waiting I would have been die in a week.  He said that it was in my blood sterm for 8 weeks.  Everythiing was a mess.  That is why I try to get all the information I can and no one does anything to me without my permission.  It was a ordeal.  Had a male nurse come in and tryed to catheter me without asking permission.  He just told my son to leave I aked what was going on they took on pants leg off and force a catheter in me.  That will never happen again.  I file a complaint with the hospital.  Had to be cleaned up after had blood on the gown.  Never saw that doctor again.  The only good thing about it I found a good urologist.  He found the stricture.  Almost 3 years.  Take care  ken 
    • Posted

Same here. I was released on a Friday afternoon. Late. Felt funny Saturday night. Called docs office talked to doc on call. Called back Monday morning. He saw me Tuesday morning. Cathed me, took a culture. Wednesday night got a chill. Thought it was from all the meds they gave me. It went away. By 5 am Thursday morning it happened again. That's when it hit me. I had a infection. Temp 102. Called docs office a t 9 am. Told his nurse what was up. Figured they call in a script. She said he wants to see you now. Drove in. First thing they did was have me pee for them, take my temp. Pee was cloudy, temp was 103. I'm still thinking he's gonna give me more meds. Doc comes in says go over to admitting. I am putting you back in hospital for IV meds. By this time my wife came home. Seen my car gone. She's freaking out. Starts blowing up my phone. Waiting to be admitted thought I was going to pass out. By then it was so bad. Doc comes over tells me cultures not done yet but it's going staph he can tell. Wife shows up freaking out. Told her relax. Just a infection. Early next morning culture is back. Culture went MRSA.

• Posted

What a mess.  It seams like you tey to take care of one thing and something else happens.  That's like I had my heart ablation done on November 28, 2016  Came out of the hospital with a cough could not keep anything down Went back to the hospital  I was admitted withing the hour. Had pneumonia in left lung top of right and bronchitis.  More IV's  I hope i'm done with hospitals.  Take it easy  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.