Knee brace

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 7 1/2 weeks post op TKR. I have a elastic slip on knee brace that is very comfortable. Today after my knee bending exercises, my knee hurts a little. It would feel very good to wear my sleep on me brace to bed. Is there anything wrong with that?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy apparently its not recommend to sleep with the stretch brace. I presume it may restrict blood flow. I'm not sure about the brace with metal on the sides.

• Posted

I have never heard a surgeon OR therapist ever reccommend brace after a normal tkr. I have had 11 surgeries including a broken femur that occurred the day after a revision and having that prosthesis removed and left out Ford 4 months due to staph infection. The leg has been immobilized. Hip to ankle but never was any kind of brace allowed. Sometimes feeling good is not in the best interest of long term healing we get used to a crutch of any kind and forget to do the right things. Make sure you check out anything like a brace or wrap with your surgeon. It might make things worse in The long term
    • Posted

I was just thinking the same thing. Why a brace ??? They want you up and walking as soon as possible after surgery. With PT they want you straight and bending. Brace is restricting that. More problems for later.

I know sleeping is problematic... I use my ice man throughout the night. It seems to help.

• Posted

Ice machine while trying to sleep sounds good to me. The problem is I don't have an ice machine. I've tried ice going to sleep but when I wake up everything is wet and the ice bags melt. When I was talking about the brace I meant only at night to keep my leg and knee from twisting, because that hurts the most and keeps me up. But a few people have commented a knee brace would be bad so I am not going use it. I'm almost 8 weeks post op, I don't hurt very much at all during the day Mostly at night when trying to sleep. Thank you for the ice machine idea. When I do my other knee I am going to a different Kaiser that gives you an ice machine. I'll do it then, but I'm gonna wait several months before I do the other knee. I want to wait several months not taking opiates before I do my other knee. I think my pain medicine didn't work as well as it could have because I have taken opiates on and off for other things for quite a while.

• Posted

Hmmm tried to show you what mine ice man looks like but because it's a link it's being monitored ... Amazon has some .

My insurance provided it this time around .

I FULLY understand the wet bed from 1st knee.

I ziplocked freezer bags 4xs to prevent wet bed. Finally I just started wrapping a towel around my knee with freezer bags.

When I'd wake when towel was wet I knew it was time to change bags.

The iceman takes frozen water bottles.

Only problem I have with it ... the wrap is only for knee. And we all know the WHOLE knee needs icing.

So my solution To that was back to freezing zip lock and bagging them 4xs, but I also have a icy hot pad.

So with the zip locks in bags I then put all of them in 1big zip lock ,

wrap in pillow case and strap it to the back of my knee along with the ice man

See if your insurance will cover iceman for you.

I'm not crazy about it cause I like that cold cold feeling of numb, but it beats wet beds every night.

8wks post op your still in healing ... 12 wks they say your on your way . 12-18 months th you should be fully healed.

I swore I wasn't getting other knee done. 11 months later I did.

• Posted

Thank you for all your comments, I really appreciated it. I agree about the Ziploc's 4's, maybe I'll do that tonight. I found an ice machine to order but with shipping it was $175 ugh! I will probably have my second knee done in 11 months also. That's enough time to enjoy summer and kind of forget the pain before I start again. I looked to see more about you but you had never entered anything. Did you know that if you touch the square print before your name, you can enter information about yourself if you want. When did you have your first knee done?

• Posted

This site will take me getting use to ... I'm getting monitored.

I had my first on done Jan 25 , 2016.

It was the worse of the two. My mind blocked out most of the pain so

I don't remember as much of it.

This time around is very different and it appears to be more painful.

Again it only appears so.

I'm -10/100 . Not liking that -10 being I wasn't

Contracted going into surgery.

As for info on me ..I just joined today. Haven't gotten that far smile

Quad bagging will help. Just watch corners that's where the weak spots are.

Prays for you on your healing. Keep positive . Every surgery is different and every person is different.

So healing will be different. But you will heal.

One person suggest trying medical supply and renting. just a thought

Peace be with you

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

Maybe you should call the doctors office and ask. I know when

I had mine it hurt alot. they gave me braces and it still did not 

help. I am going to have taping done to my knee next week. my 

doctor had to give me a referral and when I go they will teach me

how to put the tape on as you change it every 2  to 3 days. Mu lnee clicks whenI stand up and getting out the car.  I wish you the best of luck. Terry

• Posted

Hi, I have pull on neoprene sleeves from my orthopedic office that I used prior to surgery to hold things together I could walk. I asked if I could use them after surgery and was told Absolutely Not! It's been 10 months and finally was told it is OK for excercises. Otherwise I use Voltaren gel

• Posted

My hospital provided me two Iceman machines as I did double tkrs. The knee wraps were huge and covered knee and part of thigh. They also told me to check at a medical exchange place in the town I had surgery for any other needs...Walker, canes etc.. It is a place where you can "borrow" medical equipment for a short time...Bring back or purchase if you want. I would think that a medical supply store has them and maybe insurance will pay.

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestion. But at this stage, I'm almost 8 weeks, I don't want to invest any money even to borrow an ice machine at this point. If it was the beginning I would definitely look into that. I'm not using ice during the day at all anymore and mostly Tylenol arthritis eight hour for daytime. At night time I am still taking about three - 4 Oxsee's to sleep, but they're only 5 mg each. Tonight I am going to do ice again and put it into Ziploc bag with more Ziploc's around it to prevent leakage. Before I had my surgery, my doctor said the second one is always easier. I asked him why and he said because you know what to expect. Boy is that right!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.