Neurologist won't order EMG

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having severe muscle weakness and nonstop spasms/cramps that started in my left foot but have now spread throughout almost my whole body and want to get tested for ALS and/or get to the bottom of my symptoms.

However, the neurologist I got referred to (who I am stuck with due to insurance) is a dick and won't order any tests until I fail the strength test-which I may not fail for months if at all. Shouldn't I be able to have an electromyography if I want one and have been experiencing symptoms for over a few months now? He can't just refuse to b/c I'm not showing clinical weakness.

Also, any tips for changing neurologists with blue cross blue shield or will I have to pay out of pocket for that?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am in UK not US, so don't know the way things work there. Can you find some other marker that will show there is something wrong that needs investigating? For example, with all those spasms and cramps it is very likely that your plasma CPK is raised. Worth considering if you have not had that already, This is a simple blood test that could be ordered by your GP and hopefully would be evidence of a serious issue. In my own muscle condition the average level is 10 times the top of the normal range, so gets the doctors scurrying for an answer. Good luck.

• Posted

what a jerk.... i was in the same boat as you only i had the weakness for several years and only started going to the doctor when i started getting respiratory weakness while laying down and couldnt breathe. iam 27 years old. what helped me was my pottassium kept coming back as too high which can be fatal, so the doctor had to legaly find out why it was high. I then got in to an emg which only showed their may or may not be a problem, so i was sent to an als specialst who did another emg which showed the same results. I then had to have a open muscle biopsy done which can cost up to 50K( luckily iam in canada so it was free). and the muscle biopsy showed i have a progressive myopathy and am currently waiting for genetic testing results to determine the type.

with muscle weakness you should have a full electrolytes panel done when your having symtpoms aswell as liver panel test because when muscles breakdown they can eleavte ast and alt which can be mistaken for liver damage. then if something comes back abnormal you will have proof that you need a emg done.

• Posted

I know you posted this a year ago so I'm not sure if you still monitor comments here.  If you want an EMG, ask your primary to prescribe one.  But, have you ever had one?  I did.  It's the worst pain you'll ever have to endure.  It's torture.  Right now, my quack is trying to get me to take one and I'm refusing.  So, he is refusing to do surgery to repair the nerve damage caused by his associate during a mastectomy 3/2017.  I have 3 children, labor was less painful then this test and most of the time the results come back as inconclusive.  I find neurosurgeon's may have an ulterior motive to prescribe this test.    I have lost all hope.  I have zero quality of life.  I think it's time to retain an attorney.  If I have to be stuck with this much pain for the rest of my life, I may as well get paid for my damages.  Best of Luck to you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.