Seeking pre-op advice, living alone

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just gone onto the waiting list (UK, NHS) for a partial knee replacement (medial compartment). Most likely timing seems around 2 months from now.

I live alone, don't have many friends or family in this area and want to do all I can to prepare in advance.

I'd be grateful for any advice that people who have been through this (or TKR I guess) can offer. Thanks very much.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get rid of any throw rugs on the floor for now. It would be easy to trip on them. Get a toilet riser to put on the toilet seat so you can get up and down. Maybe make some small freeZer meals so you don't have to prepare meals for a couple of weeks good luck.

• Posted

Hi Robin

I hope your op happens sooner rather than later, I know what it's like on a NHS waiting list.

I had TKR in Oct last year, occupational health should fix you up with things like perching seats for washing yourself sitting down, something that goes around the toilet so you have something to hold onto whilst lowering yourself! (These are excellent I was given 2 as I have a downstairs toilet too). Will you have the pre op Physio session? If so they will discuss the sort of stuff you'll need.

Make sure you have things like books, ipod(or some music playing device), dvds so you have something on tv you WANT to watch, plenty of bottled water, some by your bed, some by your chair etc, or glasses of water (bottled is just easier) Jigsaw puzzle on a tray, crossword books, sudoku, anything to put your mind to during recovery. (I got through a few sleepless nights listening to music).

Try to strengthen your legs as you will need your unoperated leg strong to support you & the operated leg ready for the work to come.

Have a list handy of people's phone nos in case of problems i.e. Doctor, hospital, any friendly neighbour?

I (still) carry a silky bag with everything I need in it wherever I go (especially pain meds in the beginning).

Remember to rest, ice, elevate & heat when it helps.

Keep us informed how you're going, tell us when you have a date.

One last thing, I visited the chiropractor twice a week in the weeks before my op, who also gave me exercises. I am convinced she helped!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Jen is right. Trip hazards, food in freezer,soups are good. Toilet riser, shower chair and NON SKID mat. Exercise arms, triceps, they get used a lot raising and lowering on and off floor. Chair/recliner that has a handle -NOT activated by your feet- to sit in. If you have a favorite couch, you can elevate it 4 inches by some cheap bricks from home improvemrnt store. They should set u up w crutches,walker. Puzzles were good. Sometimes the pain meds dont let you concentrate so coloring is good too. Write down reasons you need surgery. Keep a little comment book. There will be a time when you r recovering and you will SCREAM, "WHY did i do this?" And you will be reassured, that you are getting better. Its a process thats worth it.

Google some exercises that you'll do post op. Routine helps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Great replies so far, thanks a lot people!
    • Posted

Fishing jacket,lots of pockets for "stuff",keeps hands free for manoeuvres like eg walking. Saves on number of "trips".

rgrds

Mike

• Posted

You can also request visits from a carer up to four times a day.

This ishould be free of charge.

The person just needs to make sure you are ok with all you require for recovery.

Mike

• Posted

Thanks Mike, not sure I'd want that but if so who would I speak to about it, GP, council...?

• Posted

Ok Robin, I think you would speak to your GP in the first instance.

But I think the hospital where your op is should also be able to advise.

hope this helps.

Mike

• Posted

Robin, take the help right after surgery, you are going to need it and appreciate it. You can cut back as you cut back on meds and gain your strength. I am so independent, BUT, appreciated quickly every bag of ice, drink, snack, meal, smile and caring question. Better to set it up and have it than need it and be alone. Good luck!!
    • Posted

I am new on here trying to follow since I live alone and having knee replacement in 2 weeks. Please help I didn't understand...Who is this or what free service and how does this work that can stop by?

My condo is on 3rd floor so I was trying to figure out what I need & be prepared before surgery. Dr said 12 week recovery and already very tough on me being out of work past month since my knee stays so swollen and locked up. I have a lot of damage besides the bone on bone. Hard to get up and down stairs with groceries. I'm so independent I never ask for help and haven't shared with many friends that I am having this done. I always listen and help friends and I've just started be antisocial to avoid letting anyone see me limping and struggling in pain.

Interested to hear any advice on what to expect and how to get through the the first weeks.

• Posted

The "free service" we're talking about is in the UK, which I'm guessing is not where you are. Sorry about that. It sounds like you really need to open up and reconnect with your friends, I tend to be very independent as well but being antisocial is a really bad thing, you need to let people in. Good luck!

• Posted

Christi, I'm due for mine to be done on 1st March but am in a different situation, living in a bungalow, with a husband to help.  BUT, can you get your groceries delivered?  That might help there.  As is always suggested, preprepare meals to leave in the freezer.  I've seen a sturdy walker where you can attach a tray and a bag to help you get stuff from room to room (I'm sorry I don't still have the link to it!).  Do you have access to a laundry service where someone can look after your washing and ironing?  But you're going to need to spend a significant amount of time with your leg up higher than your hip level, so spare pillows will be useful, and lots of ice.  Something you enjoy doing to keep you occupied too.  I hope it goes really well for you and wish you a good recovery:-))) If you do need help from your friends, do ask.  They'd feel awful if they knew you were struggling when they could have helped.  They might be asking the same from you at some time!  That's what friends do.

• Posted

This is what you're looking at...be prepared...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Listen to the other pros on here about toilet seats, rugs, etc.  Prepare your home...you'll be there a while.

• Posted

Thanks a lot Chico. Will study both discussions carefully. This is a great community! smile

• Posted

Read a lot of posts.  You will notice that very few people were prepared for this...I was in that group.  Even people who already had a good experience with their first TKR found the second to be completely different and were unprepared for it.  Get as strong as you can beforehand.  Eat healthy, lose weight, hydrate, exercise...do whatever you can to get ready.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.