Bartholin's Cyst Gland

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got my first Bartholin Cyst in March of 2016, Had it drained, second time I had to go to the ER because I couldn't take the pain, it got as big as a golf ball or maybe bigger. They used a blade and that was the scariest thing I've been through. I got it again and as I decided to sleep the pain away I woke up completely wet, it had burst. I then got it again and as I was about to get off my car it burst so I had to rush home.Now I have it again but I'm feeling pain on my leg too besides feeling unwell . Has anyone felt pain around leg area where cyst is? Help I'm exhausted with this problem. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mary,

I used to suffer from chronic bartholins cysts as well. Had them for probably 7 or 8 years without much of a problem, but then last year it got to the point where I was going to the ER a couple times a month to get them drained. You should talk with a doctor about getting your bartholins glands surgically removed. That's what I did, and although the recovery was a bit rough, it's been over a year and I haven't had a cyst. 

Hope you are well! 

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I ended going to the ER this monday because I just couldn't walk any longer. The doctor drained it and put packing in it. Right now its beginning to hurt after 2 days. I'm thinking about the gland removal but I'm super scared. How long was your recovery? Are you having sex? sorry for the straight up questions , I just need to know how bad it'll be so i can be prepared. Thank you for replying

• Posted

Hey Mary,

My recovery took a few months, to be honest. The doctors like to say you'll be back to normal in a few weeks, but I don't think that's true for most women, judging by my own experience and what I've read on here. I took about a week off from work and was mostly bed-ridden during that time. The second week I was supposed to go back to work, but was lucky enough to be able to work from home since I was still in quite a bit of pain and taking pain meds. By the third week, I was able to be back in the office and walk around and such, but it was several more weeks before I tried having sex again. Luckily I was in a relationship with a very understanding partner who gave me the time I needed to heal. I want to say it was 3 months before I felt at ease having sex again. It's been over a year now and every now and then I'll feel a little pang of pain where the glands used to be, and some days I just feel sore down there for no reason. I went to a gyno recently and she said that because the vagina is so sensitive, it can take years for you to feel totally normal again. That said, I'm able to live a normal life and the occasional pain I feel from the surgery is nothing compared to what I was going through when I had the cysts. It's been a long road, but ultimately I'm really glad I decided to have the surgery. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

• Posted

Omg Maggie your message gave me goose bumps I appreciate totally appreciate your response put me at ease. I have an appointment with the doctor on Feb 21 and I'm going to tell the doctor. I'm going to be brave and tell him that I want to get it removed. Thank you so much!! :-)

• Posted

Y'all are amazing. I a, new with this horrid thing, it's been depppresing. I've hat it drained 3 times now. I miss my sex life, do you all know if having sex makes it worse? I am asking and I know the answer is yes... I just want to make sure. I think as I get aroused it starts to get big.

Sugery sounds like a long road. You guys are a blessing for talking about your experiences p. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.