Continued ankle pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I fractured my fibula April 2016. It has been a long painful time ever since. Of course the pain is now nothing like it was when I broke it. It has healed and I am walking and pretty much doing most of the things I did prior, except jogging. I still wake up with pain and a limp. I was walking up to 8 - 10 km every other day. Now I am up to about 4-5 three times a week and i pay for it after. Down the outside of my ankle is excrutiating at times especially if I have sat down for longer than 15 minutes, standing up and walking is horrible. Eventually it gets easier but there is always pain and as I said it gets worse again when walking too much. There is kind of a middle ground I think but how long do I have to put up with this. I did my physio as required and I still do some of the exercises at times. I am just getting frustrated and wonder if this is normal all these months out. I am beginning to wonder if I tore my ligamants or something like that. I guess an ultrasound is the only thing that will tell me that. Anyone had continued pain? How long do I need to limp? I have stairs in my home and coming down in the morning is a nightmare and I still have to do one step then both together then another and so on. I would never of dreamed breaking a bone would turn out to be such an ongoing problem.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jillian,

My wife has a very similar story to yours'.

She made a sprain in April 2016, but did not broke any bone.

At least is what MRI and doctor say.

But she is still j pain...Doctors say she as nothing clinically and are already sending her to Pain Treatment as they now think is neuropathic pain.

It's been hell.

One year and still pain in the 4-5 levels (0 to 10 scale).

We've run out of ideas to try..

Acupuncturem , Mesotherapy, Physical therapy, Ultra-sounds,

You name it, we did it.

Still no official diagnosis...

• Posted

Hi

I have the same as your wife. The MRI is ok but the pain is awful. Waiting for the pain clinic as well

• Posted

Its so frustrating isnt it? I hope your wife finds out what is going on soon. Its terrible to have to live in pain all the time. 
    • Posted

Update:

Went to the nth doctor yesterday after treatment with new medicine "Deflazacorte".

Dind not produce an relief also.

Next phase is make exams for possible Rheumatology problem.

• Posted

I will ask a new doctor to see if they know about this. I have tried just about everything without real help. I'm so glad that I found this forum. People are so kind. And wish you the best for a great recovery!

Thank you!

Monica

• Posted

Hello.

I just recently found out about this forum as well. I broke my ankle back in July 2016, and trust me, it wasn't in my plan to spend the last 2 weeks of July (happened on the 22nd, and surgery on the 29th) through September 5 to go non weight bearing! I feel like, at 55, I'm never going to be the same. I watch every step and stair I take. If you want to vent or have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Sincerely

Kate

• Posted

Hi

I broke my ankle 3 places in sept 2016. Had surgery with plates and screws. Went to rehab for 6 weeks and just ended it. I can walk however after a couple of hours it is still very sore. I still wear the soft brace in between. Do you still have pain? How many more months of this? Like you I'm in my 50s and never experienced something as aweful as this has been.

• Posted

Feel the same way Jillian. Have a TAR and it has been nearly 9 months. Nobody has given me clear answers. Acupuncture works, ice packs work, rice heated packs work. However, just sitting for a while in the computer ( to pay bills), I'm in so much pain. I feel like crying and hold all the stress in. My older brother moved in town to help me out for a while. I could not make it down the stairs on my own. Terrifying experience to not be able to walk, drive on one's own. I have tried just about everything. I'll keep everyone in my prayers. It takes a lot of time from research since all our nerve endings are in the feet. Everything will heal with time. All the best, Monica

• Posted

hi

I feel for you as well - I was the one taking care of everyone and now the excruciating pain makes me cry constantly.  Hate having to rely on others and want my life back.  I hope we will be better soon

• Posted

Oh Monika you do sound like me....I am at a loss as to what to do and I am hoping it eventually settles but I have a bad feeling there is something not right. I am going to ask for an ultrasound or MRI, I have a feeling the muscle is torn...its possible. For the bone to have fractured it had to first put extreme stretch to the muslces and ligaments so its possible. I cant going like this and they need to take it seriously. 
    • Posted

Yes, Jillian you do need to be persistent. My orthopedist has also told me my bones have healed beautifully, but ny gut tells me something else is going on. My talus, the bone at the top of the foot has NEVER stopped being a source of pain. I'm going to see him this Friday to discuss it AGAIN! Don't ever give up, my dear. You know your body (er foot) better than your doc does! Keep in touch!

Sincerely

Kate

• Posted

Hello.

I broke my ankle back in July 2016 in 3 places. Didn't start physical therapy until September. I also limp, twisted it again in October after my surgery, which may have set me back more than I realized...got an appt. next Friday to check it out. My pain comes from the talus. I'm starting to think this bone hasn't healed properly. Breaking your ankle bites! I'm still going through the healing process! It's frustrating because I tend to be a little on the impatient side. Call me gimpy, too, and I treat stairs with as much respect as I do the ocean! I am very careful now!!! Our steps we take must be carefully taken, anticipate a fall to prevent it from happening. Be careful, my friend!!!

• Posted

Thankyou Katy. I am keeping my fingers crossed time is the answer. I wish you all the best. 
  • Posted

Hi

I feel for you. I have gone for an MRI and they see mild effusion only on subtalar.  I had pain lateral calf which I attributed to trying to stop an elevator to opening. Went to doctor who said tendinitis and gave naproxen. Kept going to work lots walking etc and pain kept getting worse. I am not like you.  If I sit for 15 minutes and walk excruciating need a cane. Mornings are the worst for some reason - cringe getting out of bed. I have a cane but literally hop for the pain. Do the same for the stairs.  Are you taking any pain meds. 

• Posted

Yeh mornings are the worst for me also. Also if I sit to watch TV in the evening, getting up I almost want to scream!! I am taking Endone and paracetamol. I try to hold off as much as I can, but its not easy. It does give me some relief but I dont want to take meds forever! It makes me too drowzy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.