Feeling like I'll never be myself again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 25mg for 7 days, and now on day 15 of 50mg of Sertraline. I have 0.5 lorazepam to take when needed and zoplicone at night.

I had two good days (days 13 and 14), with 14 being a completely normal (no anxiety day). I was due to go into work for a few hours this morning, nothing too stressful, just a long journey. I didn't sleep well last night and started to get anxious over that and woke up with the anxiety again. I was so tired and couldn't face it. Now I feel so disappointed in myself. Why didn't I just get up, take a lorazepam and prove to myself I can do it? Because now I have to face going into work on Monday again, with no way of knowing how I'm going to react.

Am I overthinking this? Being too hard on myself? I had such a good day yesterday, and thought I was getting stronger.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Jennifer

Be kind to yourself, I wish there was a quick fix but it takes time. I have was on 50mg for 6weeks now 100mg. I started to feel better after three weeks..remember this is your time to work on you and listen to your body.

Renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee.

I'm think I'm feeling the pull and pressure of work. The need to get better so I can fulfil my responsibilities. Think I maybe developing a fear of going back to work. You're right, I need to give myself a break and be kind. I'm so hard on myself and those high expectations are creeping back in.xx

• Posted

Hi Renee,

I have been on 50mg sertraline for 3 weeks and not feeling any better. Should I not be seeing at least some improvement?

My mood is unbelievably low, have no energy whatsoever and just feel so physically tired. Did you experience any of this?

Clare xx

• Posted

Hi Clare, I had the same, but it can take a long time! I am on 8 weeks now, and slowly starting to feel better overall. Not all the time, but overall doing better. So I would say, try and stick with it, even though it really feels like it's not helping now. Leah xx

• Posted

Jenny

I think alot of us that are here are always putting others first and forgetting about number 1....I have 4 boys and work and study and I just neglect myself until my body says no more....I am now in a better head space to see that just hope I continue with time for me....

• Posted

Hi clare and leah

Like leah I have been on the meds for 7weeks now. 50mg for 6 weeks and now 100mg. I started to feel better around the 3-4 mark. However like Leah said some days are.good and others not so. Just hang in there....I have started walking and bike riding which has help. Renee

• Posted

Jen

My orignal response went to the moderator not sure why...no swearing. We all need to be kind to ourselves however its hard when your working and family. I have 4 boys and work ans study. I am.always putting them first and me last. I need to put myself first, I am starting to do that..lets see if I can keep it going. Renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee,

Today I'm not feeling as bad (almost scared to say that) I'm certainly no where near myself but slightly better than yesterday. I did have a couple of ok days in the first week though and then went completely downhill. Sometimes it feels like one step forward to two back. I get so frustrated.

Did you go from 50mg to 100mg or did you do 75mg in between? Did you get the side effects again?

How's your sleep been during this whole time? I started off with awful insomnia not sleeping at all and that hasn't got any better since taking the medication. I'm taking sleeping tablets as I'm so desperate. They only give me about 4 hours though. I'm so scared my sleep pattern won't return to normal.

I'm absolutely shattered but my brain won't let me sleep.

Trying very hard to keep busy and I go for a run every day. I'm fighting this with every part of me but some days it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Clare xx

• Posted

Thank you Renee for your kind words. You're absolutely right, and it's a new way of thinking that I'm going to have to get use to. Never put myself first... ever.

Clare I struggled with my sleep, and only now starting to get it back. Sleeping pills only gave me a few hours sleep, then I'd wake up anxious and wouldn't be able to switch off again. However, I'm in the 3rd week (day 16) of 50mg and last night I managed to fall asleep unaided. It's not perfect and I am still struggling with anxiety and motivation in the morning, but the sleep is very slowly coming back. I've been running and swimming in the evenings, walking throughout the day. I find I sleep better if I do that.

Jen

• Posted

Thanks Jen,

Nothing I do seems to help my sleep at all! When I get into bed I'm exhausted but still can't sleep.

Have you ever been on sertraline before?

I have to go for my run in the morning to get myself going.

Are you feeling better in yourself?

Clare xx

• Posted

What sleeping medication are you on? I'm on Zoplicone 7.5, but trying to reduce it. I was on Tamazepam 10mg, but that caused me to have psychotropic effects!

I haven't been on Sertraline before. I was on 25mg for 7 days, and now on 50mg for 16 days. The sleep was horrendous at first, but it is settling (slowly). The last couple of days have been better, I'm not 100%, but I would say I'm about 50% better. But, very sensitive. Doesn't take much to send me into a anxiety spike. I take Lorazepam 0.5mg for them.

How far along are you? Have you had it before?

Jen

• Posted

I was on zopliclone but now I'm on zoplidem. Really hate having to rely on any form of sleeping tablet. I was also on quetiapine to help sleep but I really didn't like how it made me feel.

I've been on sertraline 50mg for 3 weeks. Had a few ok days in the first week but then went downhill.

Are you suffering from anxiety and depression? Xx

• Posted

I was on citalopram for 4/5 years with no issues at all. I came off it in August and was fine for about 6 weeks but then this hit and I've never known anything like it.

I went back on citalopram for over 4 weeks but it did nothing.

I was changed to 50mg sertraline on 29th December.

Keep getting scared that I'm stuck like this.

Clare xx

• Posted

I've been diagnosed as having Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder.

The ironic thing that I've learnt about Sertraline is that it is one of the most effective treatments for our 'wobbles', but you have to climb a mountain to get there.

I also hate the idea of having to rely on medication for basic things like sleep and feeling human! But, I need to let go of the control and understand that right now it's a means to an end. Never been reliant on anything before.

• Posted

It's so weird but I don't mind taking medication for my mood and don't care if I have to take it for the rest of my life but I hate taking medication for sleep. I've always been really precious about my sleep and I hate that this illness have effected that.

Are you in uk?

• Posted

I use to work night shifts and coped with the lack of sleep better on them!

Yes, I'm in Wales. Are you in the U.K.?xx

• Posted

Good luck for tonight Clare. I hope you have a longer sleep and feel more normalised in the morning.xx
    • Posted

Clare and Jen

I was on citalopram a few years ago for the second time and it worked. I went on it again early December and like you clare I found it wasnt working so my dr change it to Zoloft 50mg and I must admit the side effects werent as bad as the cit so maybe they werent because they are both SSRI so maybe thats why.

Jen my sleep was terrible so I changed my meds to the morning. I was waking up with anxiety and now its not so bad. I went straight to 100mg with no side effects. Its been 5 days. I still have a few stupid thoughts but not as many.

We will get through this. Renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.