just been put on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine. Had immediate side effects of sickness shaking stiff legs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Iv just been given venlafaxine 37.5mg and started them yesterday with immediate effect on me. My vision is blury, I'm shaking, pains in my legs very irritated and my jaw keeps locking up. I was wandering around the house early hours for no reason and it's made me feel weird. Is this normal and does it pass? What are the end results after the initial side effects? Any info would be great thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Not on the first day, no. That would not be typical at 37.5. It sounds more like anxiety response from somebody battling with the idea of taking medication smile

On the first day or two you could expect some blurry vision and nausea and perhaps a mild nagging headache. Your other symptoms are tension related most likely.

You could expect various side effects from around day 3-5 though and then it usually takes another 5-14 days for the worst initial reactions to ease up. Other persistant symptoms may take a few weeks to resolve. Usually by week 6 most start up symptoms are virtually gone and adjustment is complete with first notable benefits beginning to show gradually but steadily. Some transient worsening during dosage adjustments though.

What are you taking them for, anxiety or plain depression? And have you previously taken other psychotropic medication, especially in recent past?

• Posted

I'm taking them for servere mood disorder. And never had any antidepressants for years until lately. I was previously on citroplam I think that's the name not sure. But came off them after 3 days as side effects were so servere. I drive for a living and I'm dreading getting behind the wheel of this continues. In fact I won't be driving for a living if it does. I'm willing to keep at them but with work commitments etc I think it's gona be hard.

• Posted

I'm also very irritable and feel like punching something, feel like screaming and feel very agrivated like I'm going to snap. Can't even hold a conversation with my partner without seeming angry. This feels worse not better. 😔

• Posted

It is expected to feel worse at first.

However you are reporting notable symptoms at start-up dosage on the first day which is really not justified and could point to other issues.

What symptoms did you have before being given medication? I mean how did your condition present?

Do you consume alcohol or take any other medication or supplements?

Have your doctors examined your overall health? 

• Posted

Iv spoke to doctors today as I'm struggling. I assume they've taken everything in to consideration as I have fibromyalgia aswell. They've told me to take the full dose of 75mg on a night time and see how I do. I don't drink alcohol or take any other drugs or supplements at all. My symptoms before I got these tablets were suicidal thought's, sleeping all day, my brain goes so fast I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds. I was just shutting down. Hence the sleeping. Outbursts of anger and cursing, very irritated and lost my job, lost all of my confidence, Anxiety attacks, isolated myself from everyone, quite impulsive in my behaviour. One minute I'd be all smiles and the next I'd be vicious within a split second. Scared of everything, no motivation, nitemares, couldn't sit still for long. After I had had a episode of being energetic and cleaning washing all the stuff I needed to do in one go or a crying fit or an outburst of anger I'd just go straight to sleep and when I woke up I would feel great. It's a vicious cycle.

• Posted

Please tell me you are being followed by a psychiatrist and not only GP? You have notable presenting symptoms. If you do not mind me asking, what happenned for you to escalate so, since as you say you have no prior history? Did it just come out of the blue or did some event or string of events trigger? Did you lose your job as a result of your escalating condition or was that a precursor to your escalation?

It is difficult to address your initial question given the intensity and mix of your symptoms.

What should, theoretically, come after adjustment issues is a very gradual but progressive smoothing out of your initial symptoms.

First the anxiety aspects should start lessening and along with them some mood lifting. I had rage problems in the second lap of my therapy (sudden outbursts) that took the longest time to resolve as they were caused by lingering anxiety and that took months to address. 

On 75mg, if this medication is right for you, initially you should feel calmer and more grounded. But you will have to wait and see until you adjust. The worst of adjustment disturbance takes a week or two. Adjustment is considered complete at the 6 week mark however.

If at any point you feel like you are escalating and find it difficult to control yourself, contact your doctor as you have correctly done now, or if it is really bad go to A&E immediately. 

I hope it does not come to this however and you start to respond to 75 more positively.

• Posted

It didn't come out of the blue, iv had depression over the years for various reasons but never this intense. This is new to me. I lost my job due to what is occurring now. But I didn't identify it quick enough so ended up walking out on a bad day. Since then yes I'll admit it has got worse. Iv had family troubles etc but nothing out of the ordinary for me.

Yes I am being followed by a psychiatrist I was assessed and diagnosed with cyclothemia/servere mood disorder. But they won't give me anything else until I try venaflexin first as he thinks it's more depression. So depression route it is.

I have really servere anxiety at the moment worse than ever before. It makes me vomit.

The doctor has advised I take 75mg on a night instead of 37.5mg on a morning then 37.5mg on a night as I'm hoping to start a new job a week come Monday so can't be spaced out or have any vision problems for that. I suppose I will just have to wait and see how it goes. Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

• Posted

Well...let's see how ven fares with your specific mix of symptoms. It did not do much for me initially for any similar symptoms. But in the final lap I saw improvement - I am assuming this happenned as a result of the lower layers of my condition finally being penetrated. This is how i rationalize it anyway. However, having said that, my condition was severe anxiety disorder that escalated to psychosis. My rage and outbursts were overload related (apparently). Plus there is a lot of learned behaviour as my father had serious rage issues (never went to doctor so never diagnosed or treated for anything)...

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing you are doing better soon! This is what I wish for you.

• Posted

ah....is there anyone in your family that you know had same or similar condition? Curious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.