Mirtizapine, gave another try 12 weeks ago.

Posted , 3 users are following.

This medicine is impossible.  I have been on and off for year and half.  I started back up due to it was too hard to get off of.  It's been 12 weeks at 15 mg.  I am having what seems like withdrawal symptoms but I have been taking 15 mg each night.   depersonilization, anxiety, dizziness, nauseau, fatigue, shaking, just absolutely struggling every day for 7 days.  Any idea is this the medicine or an anxiety issue?  any input - have this happened to anyone else? if so what did you do? Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Connie

Sorry for your suffering.  When you say you have been "on & off" Mirt' for a year & a half, what do you mean?  Did you do a slow taper each time?  I think when folk up & down the doses over a period of time the brains neurotransmitters get very confused, and sometimes it is hard to stabilise/or it takes longer to stabilise.  

OR could it be pooping out on you do you think?  Its really hard to know, but if it is it throws you into involuntary withdrawal.  I have read of both these explanations many times ~ I hope someone will respond to you first hand who is in a similar position.

You havn't switched brands at all have youu, maybe double check the manufacturer - or type i.e. Sol Tab / Tablet ?  Just a thought.

Hope you turn around soon.

• Posted

in the last year and a half I have went thru cycles and usually when I hit the 3 month mark I get extremely sick (involuntary withdrawal?) so thats when I usually start the decline to lower doses and then the sickness cycle starts.  I have never tried to increase when the sickness starts maybe 15 mg is not a theraputic dose for me?  this medicine is crazy and making me insane!  thanks Calmer!
    • Posted

so for 18 months youu have tried to drop the dosage 3 times ???  What dose are you on now?  I am just trying to undersand whats happening and maybe help.
    • Posted

The past year and half sucked. Yes my dad passed and I was having hard time with anxiety and panic and depression

I was put on mirt 15 mg, when I would get sick it was blamed on anxiety. Doctor and psychiatric keep talking me into retaking it as when I stop or reduce I get sick. But mirt is supposed to make you hungry and sleepy. It does the opposite with me after around 10 weeks

• Posted

I've been super sick for two weeks at 15mg. Didnt take last night.

• Posted

You say you "gave it another try 12 weeks ago", and that you have stopped and started again, that your p.doc talked you into taking it again.

I think your sickness, anxiety etc is due to stopping and starting, lowering and retaking ... the thing is you can't do this with Mirt, and you can't stop taking it suddenly, like cold turkey because those symptoms will just be worse.  Did your doc or p.doc advise you of this?  Mind you don't expect them to know this, most docs' just don't receive the training, even p.docs don't necessarily understand the need to taper slowly from Mirt.

Mirtazapine acts on the brains neurotransmitters, it builds a kind of false trellis of support for your central nervous system, when we want to taper it should be slow to enable all this to be able to restructure, to find homoeostatis - this can only be done with a slow taper, if you whip away the support too quickly all hell is let loose, and thats when folk go into insomnia, anxiety, nausea ... 10% taper per month is what is recommended, each time waiting for stabilisation.  

So what is your plan as I see you said you did not take one last night? 

Have you actually been at 15 mg dose constantly for 12 weeks?  No missing or changing dose before this posting??  

Mirt doesn't work for everyone, maybe it has turned paradoxical or is pooping out, either that or the constant changes in dose.  Let me know.

Wishing you well Connnie x

• Posted

HI CONNIE,,,,,,,,,,,,if you read my previous posts it will most probely help you,,,i WAS the same as you,,but i am ok now,,except 4 a sleep problem i am taking trazodone 4 this   good luck hope u feel better soon ,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY  
    • Posted

How long have you been off mirt? Was it very hard?
    • Posted

HI CONNIE,,,i have been off a month now,,i found it quite easy to come off i was on low dose 7.5mg 4, 8-10 wks  the higher dose did not agree with me,,,the low dose worked wonders ,,,i then reduced from 7.5mg to 3.75mg slowly about 3 weeks and feel ok i felt tired a bit 4 a while but that wore off,,,just the sleep issue to overcome  good luck     BLUESY

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.