Hip osteoarthritis pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need some help. I've got hip osteoarthritis in the last 4 years I've had 2 ops and one steroid injection. My consultant wanted to put me on the waiting list again in sep last year but I asked to hold off as I had just changed jobs. So put me as an urgent case for a review no more then 3 months later. My appointment has been changed by the NHS at least once a month and now isn't until April when it was ment to be December. Every number I call is saying they can't do anything. I currently take oxynorm liquid 25mls 4 times a day. Tramadol 2 tablets 4 times a day. Paracetamol 2 tablets four times a day. Amytriptiline 2 every night longtec 40mg twice a day and ibroprofen 400mg every 4 Hours. I physically can't take anything else. But I'm still in constant pain and some days I can hardly move. Any advise on how to get seen quicker or pain relief help

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go private ....... sorry but you should have gone on the waiting list because you can always postpone rather than decline a place on the list
  • Posted

The maximum waiting time allowable under NHS rules is 18 weeks for 'non urgent' referrals.  This is with the exception of say cancer referrals or where a patient is in need of urgent life saving treatment.  Unfortunately we arthritis patients are considered non urgent in this instance.  Thus if your consultant referred you in September, you should be seen by say around the early part of January.  April is thus outside the permitted timescales.  There is an NHS complaints procedure - I recommend using it.  The old saying ' a squeaky hinge gets oiled' is never more true than when trying to budge the megalithic NHS into action.  I appreciate how much pain you are in but the amount of meds you are taking is very high and the benefits of some do wear off or become less effective as the body develops a form of immunity.  Please contact your original consultant again and insist that he investigates why you have not yet been seen when he classed your referral as urgent.  Contact PALS - patient advice and liaison service, they can guide you on how to get your delay looked into.

• Posted

Some NHS Trusts use Acupuncture for pain relief. Could you enquire if this could be relevant to your situation? Private Acupuncture is not too expensive. The cost of private orthopaedic treatment for your condition is frightening; the Acupuncture could be worth it though as an interim?

Also, could you look at 'choose and book' for an appointment elsewhere if you have the abilty to travel outside of your area. 

I feel for your situation as it is an indication of the huge pressures in the NHSat present. I think your GP should be giving you more support here as you are having such pain. 

• Posted

Can I just add that this was to be my 3rd operation on the same hip.
  • Posted

Please dont waste even more time complaining. The individual was offered a place on the list and declined it, now they wants to jump to the front of the queue. Sorry but it was their decision to not go on the list and wait. Therefore should have asked the question, what if the pain gets worse, I will be at the back of the Q.

I have just had surgery exactly for those reasons that I didn't want to see how I would be  in 6 months time and then have to wait for surgery. 

A UK employee has certain medical rights so is able to get time off,unless of course if they work for a well known sports firm, then it might be difficult 

we should be grateful for the NHS not keep complaining about it. Live in the USA and no jpb, no healthcare, always been like that, even Obamacare costs A LOT OF MONEY, we get a great health service and many of us never even contribute, start saying how lucky we are, not filing a complaint 

• Posted

I'm not worried about the operation I just want pain relief ideas. I also asked to hold off as after my last operation I had to have tests as I had a reaction and nearly died. And we still hav y found out what it was that caused the reaction

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.