Rena mvd

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just had McD surgery it was not successful how long should i wait for second surgery? Thanks for your input.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rena, My name is Bob. On July 19, 2002 (because of my health insurance's insistence that I stay in-network) I underwent a MVD that was a complete failure and utter disaster ,so much so that my condition with respect to the hemi facial spasm actually worsened  and 3 1/2 months later I underwent a second MVD which fortunately was very successful.When a person finds himself or herself in that situation of needing a second procedure you are considered a "redo" and not every reputable neurosurgeon is interested in or capable of undoing the damage that was done by an incompetent practitioneer.A word to the wise is sufficient - Choose your second neurosurgical team very,very carefully!!The good news is that in my case  it worked ,although the recovery time takes  a little longer,but you are so elated about your new positive results that you really can bear it.Good luck!

• Posted

I would recommend waiting at least six months before considering a second operation.I had my surgery in March 2016 and like you I felt the condition had worsened after it.I consulted a second surgeon who wasn't Prepared to do a 'redo'so then consulted another surgeon who suggested waiting up to a year as he had experience of cases taking that length of time.Just before Xmas my condition improved and at present I am fully recovered which is fantastic.So for me it was 9months recovery,so don't lose heart.

best wishes and good luck

marilyn

• Posted

Thanks for your response.How long was it before they removed your stiches and the pain subsided?
  • Posted

Hi Rena, I have just replied to you on another thread, but would just reiterate what others are saying.  Firstly, find out WHY your surgery has been unsuccessful.  Secondly, do not return to the same surgeon unless there is a very compelling reason for doing so.  I have seldom heard a surgeon pronounce a surgery 'unsuccessful' after such a short time and this in itself is worrying.  Only about 30% of patients are spasm-free immediately after surgery and most people have to wait weeks, months or even over a year to know whether the surgery has cured the problem.  The best indicator is whether or not you are seeing any improvements in the first 4 months.  Many people find that their spasms change in nature and intensity immediately after surgery - was this the case for you or are they really as bad as ever?  You must be really fed up to have gone through this and then be told that it was 'unsuccessful'.  Please join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support group for more support and information from your part of the world.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.