AFIB caused by Ibuprofen

Posted , 11 users are following.

overuse of ibuprofen has left me with atrial fibrillation which I was diagnosed with 4 weeks ago. I had no idea ibuprofen could damage or effect the heart in such a way but after searching the web find it is more common than people think. I can only hope now that stopping the use of NSAIDS altogether that one day my heart will recover and have regular beat and speed again.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I really think my afib was caused by glucosamine. More awareness needs to be made of these common drugs and supplements.
    • Posted

I couldn't agree more, a GP once told me there isn't anything on the pharmacist shelf that wont do you harm if you have to much of it, in my case it was antibiotics I was given them for chronic bladder disease in huge doses over 20 years.

L.

• Posted

Did the Doctor tell you the NSAIDS caused it? That is pretty scary! 
  • Posted

Are you on any drugs for AFIB?

Tylenol is only pain reliever acceptable with AFIB .

Doesn't touch pain for joints and inflammation!

Miss my Motrin!

• Posted

He's put me on 2.5mg a day bisoprolol. I asked him if he thought the HUGE amounts of ibuprofen over 5 years could have caused it, he said studies had shown a connection between prolonged high dose use of NSAIDS especially ibuprofen and heart speed and rhythm disorders like AFIB/SVT etc.

• Posted

I was put on that dose of bisoprolol  too but whittled it down to zero with doctors help. Only had 3 episodes in 2 years, but no meds so all is good!
    • Posted

Having taken a number of bp meds, all of which brought on my afib (or palpitations as the drug info would say), Bisoprolol is my preferred bp med but I take it in the evening not morning. Since taking in the evening I haven't had an episode for 6 weeks which is a record for me.

• Posted

same here when I first started Bisoporol I had huge problems pharmacist suggested taking in the evening, and like you since then I have had no problems.

L.

• Posted

I think I'm going to try taking it in evening too. I'm only 38 but have felt like a 60 year old since starting it!!!!

• Posted

He's referred me to the hospital to have a 24hr tape fitted to try and confirm his diagnosis

• Posted

Same thing happened to me, March 2020

took maximum dose for two weeks and woke up with an irregular heartbeat. I used tablets and a gel for a muscle injury.

Had to go to A & E with tachycardia. They stabilised me with Bisoprolol and blood thinners. I told the hospital that Ibuprofen had caused it and they were non- committal.

They scanned my heart and said it was healthy, had to wait nearly six months - covid delays - until I had a cardioversion which - fingers crossed- has worked. Nearly two years okay now.

It maybe time to sue the manufacturers of Ibuprofen.

• Posted

I had my first AF early this morning. My 90 yo mom is diagnosed with Af so i went out long ago & got myself a Kardia Mobile. i set that up this morning & HR initially between 145-165. I took many readings for 3 hrs before I got to NSR. BUT talk about scared. Now for the reason I'm responding. i have lower back pain & for several months I've put myself on a regimen morning & night of 800mg ibuprofen. I'm going to stop with the ibuprofen & hope I get no more attacks. Also reading these boards has helped me to realize AF probably won't kill me but it's given me the incentive i need to lose a lot of weight. Anyway, thanks for posting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.