Mri results (ms suspected)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've had a mri scan on my head and spine. And received a letter saying not shown any acute abnormality. Has anyone else had this letter. I've rang up the neurology department and they've said they'll be seeing me soon. Also I've spoken with my doctors and asked if this rules ms out and he said no its doesn't rule ms out at all.have any of you gone through this thanks for your time and help xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I will start by saying it was suggested I had MS but neurologist cancelled any follow up appointments and posted on my health portal that I had mental changes like dementia.  Im 57 and everything thinks hes crazy to have put that on there.  But I will say I have read stories on this site and many others.  

So my question is, do you have symptoms that led to this MRI?  Why were you having an MRI in the first place?  It seems from what I have read, its hard to diagnosis MS most times, theres no exact way to prove it other than elimination of other illnesses.  But it seems if people have certain things show up in the MRI, it leads to a diagnosis of MS.

Others can chime in on this if I misspoke.  I have learned to not just accept everything doctors say and investigate for myself.  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I've not been well for going on 3 years now I have under active thyroid but that's under control the doctors have done so much and referred me to neurologist and had mri on my brain and spine and that was the letter I received just wounder if anyone with ms has had a letter like that xx

• Posted

Hi Connie

I went in for a simple day surgery and had a reaction to  anesthesia.  They wanted to rule out seizure and booked me for EEG and brain MRI a couple of months later.  EEG was all clear but MRI showed white matter lesions consistant with MS. Neuro said no as I had not presented with clinical sx.  About six weeks later rt sided weakness, numbness on feet and face, non-painful shocks going through my body particularly arms and legs mostly in bed upon wakening.  Very scared and hoping that this could be anxiety bringing on these symptoms.  Anyone else have this?

• Posted

I would freak out if I started having symptoms like yours Carolyn!  I will say the anxiety I had after my trip to the ER would have made me believe I had anything.  I don't do medical stuff well and have been eating healthy and walking/running over 900 miles in the last 9 months so it deflates one to think they have something wrong with them.

Now that my anxiety is gone from worrying about that MRI and the doctor canceling my follow up appointment for the end of March, I have none of the strange things going on in body. I was pretty sure it was anxiety but when you are worried, you can talk yourself into being on your death bed!

I hope things become clearer for you 

• Posted

Hi i was diagnosed 1 year ago, but it was 3 - 4 months after I had all my tests done. Everything came back clear except my MRI scan, the fluid spine showed up liaisons,  some active but the brain scan was clear. The Consultants had different ideas of my diagnoses, my own Doctor read my medical reports and he believed that it was not MS. One Consultant said he believed it was silent MS. So it is difficult to diagnose and unfortunately for you will just have to have conformation from the Consultants. Hopefully you are not diagnosed with MS, it is a complete life changing experience for anyone. Best of Luck 
    • Posted

Or thank you for your reply I'm just finding it hard at the Mo and just want to understand that letter hope your ok it's waiting now for the appointment to see what happens next xx

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry that you're going through this all too familiar process. Unfortunately, there's a lot of subjectivity about interpreting MRI scans. It seems as though the same is sometimes true about wether or not a person has MS. I was diagnosed with MS in 2004, my neurologist, at the time, said that there were no lesions visible on my brain MRI, but that didn't guarantee that there weren't any. My cervical spine MRI showed several lesions, this and a positive result, from a lumbar puncture sample, made my diagnosis comparatively straightforward. Sadly, many of us have to simply be (frequently ridiculously) patient. I'd always suggest keeping an ongoing record of all your symptoms, experiences, concerns, questions and anything else you feel is relevant, as they can prove useful, for appointments. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your time I'm going to start writing things down as I've started with a twitching in my top lip that comes and goes and a strange feeling in my back like pins and needles were ur bra would be this had started today these are just new things hope ur ok xxx

• Posted

I have twitching all over my body but it started out with bottom lip twitching for a week straight. I don't get pins and needles in the back but a burning sensation that comes and goes. Brain and spine scans are clear as well as all blood work. So my doctors don't know what's wrong. I've just felt like something is seriously wrong with me for the past 6 months. I guess only time will tell. rolleyes

• Posted

I forgot to say, in my 1st post, I've seen various posts, from others who have MS, who find, like me

that finding some sort of relaxation techniques that give you a focus point, that helps you kind of move away from

your symptoms, and your, understandable worries about your health. I find that sitting cross legged, on the floor

and stretching out my muscles, while clearing my mind really helps me. I hope that you work out 1 or more ways

that help you too. X

• Posted

Usually an MRI would show lesions if you have MS,however I've heard of MRI's not showing lesions and still experience MS symptoms. Best bet is to speak to your neurologist.good luck!

• Posted

There are different resolutions/standards of MRI, so lesions can be missed. It's also the case, that lesions can be so small that they're not visible, however, there might be many of them, or they might be positioned in areas of the brain where even small lesion could have a pronounced effect, neurolologically speaking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.